advertisement

Hi Fi Wigwam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inability to conform... is an unfortunate choice of words and not one I would have made.

It is you not I who states that wammers are unable to conform to tighter codes.

I remember Wigwam getting more popular as Zerogain began to decline.

Some perhaps harsh moderating at ZG made many members look for somewhere more accomodating a more liberal stance.

As a former mod, perhaps I was partly to blame, if we are laying any.

This is only my view and is therefore quite possibly wrong, I hasten to add.

A phoenix from the ashes perhaps.

Anyway, times change, there are loads of forums..I like PFM anyway so I am happy :)

What strikes me as strange and perhaps pointing to a need to be noticed for some, is the refugees crossed the border and set up camp at pfm rather than the more roomy/quiet and potentially excellent Audiosmile which is ripe for a rebirth/repopulation...

We had a fairly decent thread running, a few oldies returned and a few newbies joined and that was nice.

TBH we quite like things just ticking along nicely and aren't looking for some mass immigration from elsewhere. The place has a particular slant and that will naturally limit activity. The only really busy forum that works is this one IMO.

Yeah, that kind of knackered it for me, although I must admit. I have seen absolutely zero bias there on the few occasions I have returned.

Chris

Thank you Chris.

Your posts were always welcome and please don't be a stranger.

I've developed a bee in my bonnet about the 'pen name' culture which drives the forums. There has been a lot of research, a lot, and it all points to the cult of anonymity as the root cause of problems. When people have to use their real names their behaviour becomes a lot better. As soon as they are 'invisible' under a mass of stupid nicknames, they behave badly, Sometimes very badly.As for names being hidden for 'security' reasons....self seeking tosh. Unless you think that the rest of us walk about refusing to use our names, hiding our faces under paper bags. Sadly, it it far too late to change the culture. It has been badly debased, A real pity, because a forum with people using their real names would be very different, and a lot better.But it will never happen now.

I think the kind of forum you are advocating would be somewhat anodyne in nature to say the least, IMO, and would die on its feet very quickly.

I've developed a bee in my bonnet about the 'pen name' culture which drives the forums. There has been a lot of research, a lot, and it all points to the cult of anonymity as the root cause of problems. When people have to use their real names their behaviour becomes a lot better. As soon as they are 'invisible' under a mass of stupid nicknames, they behave badly, Sometimes very badly.As for names being hidden for 'security' reasons....self seeking tosh. Unless you think that the rest of us walk about refusing to use our names, hiding our faces under paper bags. Sadly, it it far too late to change the culture. It has been badly debased, A real pity, because a forum with people using their real names would be very different, and a lot better.But it will never happen now.

That's an unusual first name you have. What are it's origins?

Rob.

I've always used my real name on Fora and Newsgroups (or a very thinly disguised version of it) as I can't expect to be taken seriously otherwise. If I make a statement, I expect others to be able to Google me, or otherwise to be able to research who I am.

I does mean, though, that I am more careful about not behaving badly!

S.

I think the kind of forum you are advocating would be somewhat anodyne in nature to say the least, IMO, and would die on its feet very quickly.

Have to agree.

Most people are perfectly well behaved whether using a psuedonym or not anyway buttface ;)

As for this trend amongst those who have always used their full names but have recently shortened their surname to its initial letter for 'security reasons,' that's a load of tosh too.

Paul R

Mick P

Michael L

Joe P

Matthewr

and even the owner himself, lets see the use of full names again.

To put things into perspective, in my job by law I have to wear photo ID with my full name. It is not a security risk so get over yourselves! To nick simeone's ID you need a lot more than just their name.

To put things into perspective, in my job by law I have to wear photo ID with my full name. It is not a security risk so get over yourselves! To nick simeone's ID you need a lot more than just their name.

It's not about identity theft, just about hiding information that could aid burglars, weirdos etc locating you offline. It's common sense really. To my mind the first name and initial of surname is the ideal internet username as it is personable enough not to shout 'troll', yet sufficiently impersonal to be secure.

Yeah, but your photo ID isn't available for people (from all over the world) to scrutinise, at their leisure, on the Internet.

Internet user assumes his ID card and therefore his values should be applicable to everyone else. Shock horror.

Ok, when things get heated some users (well, one in particular) play this amusing but a bit suspect and kinda shitty tactic where they try to "out" people who use usernames, like they think its some kind of mystical power -- "oh noes my real name is uttered, I shall fizzle away in the light of ur ossome linguistic prowess"... I've seen one real whack job over here do it recently to Cav and several others, myself included.... I personally find it amusing (specially as its in my biogs!) and I just know someone has pissed someone off good and proper when they start using that ass-hat tactic.

So, in light of this new truncation-paranoia -- should "outing" people who want to keep their meatspace names to themselves be considered an AUP breach?

It's not about identity theft, just about hiding information that could aid burglars, weirdos etc locating you offline. It's common sense really. To my mind the first name and initial of surname is the ideal internet username as it is personable enough not to shout 'troll', yet sufficiently impersonal to be secure.

I don't think there is much value in second hand perspex, so I think steven will be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back