advertisement

Hi Fi Repairer

MC is a health hazard.

So is sodium chloride, and dilute acetic acid, and even water if you happen to be under it. Not to mention cabbage, which is FULL of mutagenic and carcenogenic sulphur compunds.

MC is also a greenhouse gas, or ozone depleter, or both - I forget and can't be bothered to llok it up.

My first job was in a factory that ran activated carbon solvent recovery units that operated at WAY over 90% efficient, and the factory had at least one road tanker a week of MC, to top things up.
VERY nasty in a fire - you will get at least some phosgene generated.

Yeah ... right... That's obviously the type of scenario I'm talking about....:rolleyes:

I get sick of telling people who ask me to "find the fault and then give me an estimate to fix it" that I absolutely will never do that as most of the time the replacement component/s cost pennies and take minutes to fit... it's the decades of experience and 2 hours+ of my time in finding the fault and why it occurred (when there is a definite reason) that you're paying for!

Precisely!

Decades of amateur successful repair experience and three years at unpaid college earning a C&G 2240 qualification for me.

That ridiculous repair quote upthread is called a "p*ss off price" commonly known in the service industry.

As are hammers, if misused.

Yes but it’s quite obvious how to misuse a hammer but people tend not to read instructions and warnings which is why hammers are readily available and lots of other things which can be equally dangerous are not.

Yes but it’s quite obvious how to misuse a hammer but people tend not to read instructions and warnings which is why hammers are readily available and lots of other things which can be equally dangerous are not.
Yes, but what about MC Hammer?

I know. You'd think a forum of music lovers would have got the joke pages ago.

hammertime_400px.jpg

Agree MC is something you should not touch...

Why?
Near certainly less dodgey than petrol. It used to used with gay abandon as Nitromors. I have used it in vast quantities (10's gallons at a time) - never did me any harm. Didn't bathe in it and didn't stick my head over and inhale for ages at a time, although one numb-nut that I worked with did end-up with cardiac arrest after choosing to do so, but anything that is heavier than air and excludes oxygen from a closed vessel will do that.

Like I said above - MC is now ferociously expensive and MEK will likely do the same job and should be treated no differently to MC.

Oh, that explains it.

Used to work in the chemical industry and large quantities of methanol, acetone, MEK, MC, diacetone alcohol, Triklone, Genklene, various phthalate esters, and much besides were part and parcel of everyday life. Just use common sense with any and all, if you don't, you will come a cropper for sure.

Traces of Triklone around ued to (presumably still would), make me half-pissed. It used to give one fellah I worked with, terrible flatulence. All at levels under the TLV.

Used to work in the chemical industry and large quantities of methanol, acetone, MEK, MC, diacetone alcohol, Triklone, Genklene, various phthalate esters, and much besides were part and parcel of everyday life. Just use common sense with any and all.
Sure, with proper handling and protection, almost anything can be safe. Still, most of us should probably not be toying with most of those chemicals at home.

Sure, with proper handling and protection, almost anything can be safe. Still, most of us should probably not be toying with most of those chemicals at home.

Why? Although no-one should "toy" with any solvent, except water.
Please tell me why and how numerous adhesive, nail varnish remover (acetone with a splash of water and something to reduce defatting of the skin), white spirit and petrol are so different. People treat iso-propyl alcohol with no major thought (although it is also part of synthetic peach flavouring).
Even non-volatile engine lubricants should be treated the same.

Vinny,

There's a subliminal joke going on here. I have to ruin it for you, obvs because to sustain it would be cruel; the first 30seconds should cure you.

ATB

If the OP can trust couriers long enough I could see what's up with the Whest for a lot less than £650. If the red bits are indeed epoxy sealed modules and it's not just covers and if these prove to be the problem then obvs there's nothing I can do with them but as it is working, albeit with hum, it's likely not these. Two phonos behaving the same makes me think there could be a dodgy TT earth or what have you though rather than faulty phonos. I DO charge to check stuff out and find there is nothing wrong.

advertisement

Back