advertisement

Hi Fi Repairer

baitrunner

pfm Member
Have a faulty Whest ps30R which has a loud hum on both channels which i think was caused by me. i have been experiencing problems with static electricity for a few months now and every time i went to play a record i got a static crack when i touched the tonearm. My Unison research integrated phono section has also now got the same problem so i definitely think its static that has caused the problem . I now discharge myself first. Whest is 8 years old. Took stage into Whest and they want over £650 with only a 3 month warranty. Can any one recommend a local Hi Fi repairer to repair both, i am based London/Essex borders. I am aware of Arkless but ideally don't want to post due to insured posted cost . Many thanks Lew

Would you be able to take off the cover and post a photo of the insides?

How far do you consider local?

Those wouldn't show whatever damage the OP's unit has.

I admire your optimism - that any damage is likely to show when there is just a hum (and by inference alone, it otherwise still works).

There also appear to be some potted goodies in there too - maybe the reason for the high fee from Whest?

Unit still functions. Unit is still at Whest. Will be picking up next week. Have looked inside myself and no visible signs or smell of anything burnt out.
Anywhere about 1 hr drive.
Armstrong audio is near to me, anyone had any dealings with ?

A shrewd guess would be that the potted components need replacing in the opinion of Whest, hence their quote. If correct, the choice is the same as that of Hobson.

Will be discussing what is exactly wrong with it on Monday morning as email only states cost for repair with other amounts for various upgrades . But in any case wont be paying that amount with only 3 months warranty ,which i assume means they will only change damaged components or replace the board from a previously upgraded unit . Could turn into a very expensive cash cow if it were to develop any more faults in the short term.

The potted modules mean, assuming a fault with them, it's irreparable by anyone other than the manufacturer, who will simply replace the modules.
If both channels are off then it may well be something else and not the modules.... it's VERY unlikely to have anything to do with static.

Reactions: GT
Hum could be due to busted electrolytics in the power supply. That's why I asked for a photo.

FWIW, I'm in Southampton, and I'd take a look free of charge if I'm unable to fix it.

If not static what else could be the culprit. LP12/Ekos/Rebuilt Akiva /Lingo 1 , would this be possible?
Have a Naim 32.5 with mc cards and this does not have a problem . I am not aware of any changes apart from me suddenly suffering with static .
It is weird that 2 phono stages have suddenly developed similar problems although the Whest has a loud hum and the Unison Research has loud buzzing but all other inputs sound fine. I have connected another turntable to these units and the fault is repeated so definitely have a problem with both stages . Will have a better idea of what is wrong with Whest after talking to them on Monday.

Armstrong audio is near to me, anyone had any dealings with ?

Yes I've used them, just recently. I'm in SE London so it was a bit of a trek, but they did sort me out. I took in my Unison Research Unico DM and it turned out the problem was just related to fuses. It did prove to be quite a faff because there was no documentation from UR or their distributor about the proper fuse values, but they did persist patiently. Twaleb is a good guy: he has designed amps in the past and definitely knows his stuff.

Have a faulty Whest ps30R which has a loud hum on both channels which i think was caused by me. i have been experiencing problems with static electricity for a few months now and every time i went to play a record i got a static crack when i touched the tonearm. My Unison research integrated phono section has also now got the same problem so i definitely think its static that has caused the problem . I now discharge myself first. Whest is 8 years old. Took stage into Whest and they want over £650 with only a 3 month warranty. Can any one recommend a local Hi Fi repairer to repair both, i am based London/Essex borders. I am aware of Arkless but ideally don't want to post due to insured posted cost . Many thanks Lew
Does your house insurance cover items outside the home ?
£650 sounds heavy duty

advertisement

Back