advertisement

Hi Fi News / Martin Colloms Speakers. DC1s.

BTW the article calls for an Audax TW6x9A tweeter but as I said mine came with the TW-74A , currently available as TWO10F1, as if you'd want one. That being said I haven't heard one in this situation so until then?
Anyone dissing that tweeter should have a sit down in front of a pair of Royd RR1.

Slight thread diversion- has anyone owned either of the speakers Colloms designed for Musical Fidelity? I remember one was a small, ported bookshelf and the other a medium size standmount.

Found it-

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=183223969249

That looked interesting.

I had the MC2 back in the day when it was current. It was okay, best thing about it was that it was inoffensive - I used to doze off (more often than not) rather than enjoy the music.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Which MC-2 was it?

There was the small rear-ported one with rectangular faceplate Elac metal dome tweeter.

1275303550221.jpg

And there was this odd MC-2 two-port model...

musical%20fidelity%20mc2.jpg

Whoever initiated the trend for large, colorful graphics on the baffle boards of loudspeakers has a lot to answer for.

those tweeters were nasty.
Rgds
Stuart

Actually not so bad when they were crossed over high enough, as is the case when the bass unit is left to roll off naturally.

With Polyamide domes, IME the larger the dome, the worse they sound.

Slight thread diversion- has anyone owned either of the speakers Colloms designed for Musical Fidelity? I remember one was a small, ported bookshelf and the other a medium size standmount...
That was the MC 4, a much better speaker than the MC2, using a far better and more expensive Audax bass unit with clear cone.

Through the clear cone you could see that this ported design was stuffed full of BAF, and the speaker benefits from its removal.

Whoever initiated the trend for large, colorful graphics on the baffle boards of loudspeakers has a lot to answer for.

What about the original white baffled Mission 770 from the late 70’s. It was quite in your face! Can’t think of anything earlier at this moment.

Some bought the 770 and liked them...

I liked the look of the 770, the white baffle/ black drivers was a pleasant change from the norm in the 70’s.
I guess the Wharfedale E series with their mesh grills and silver driver rings also made an effort to deviate from the usual offerings.

advertisement

Back