advertisement

Hi-Fi Choice on the endangered species list!

I made the mistake once of planning and purchasing a system arround Julian's recommendations as my first hifi back in 1970 as those of us following Stereo Review knew auditions weren't neccessary as everything but cartridges and speakers sounded alike. The system consisted of a Dual 1215 turntable w/Shure V-15 III cart, Marantz 1060 integrated amp and B*I*C Formula IV loudspeakers. The V15 III of course measured and tracked as well as most anything else at the time and most importantly was used by Julian at home so I figured it had to be good and it was compatible tonearm-wise with the 1215 TT. The Formula IVs sounded ok in the showroom on the end of a slighter more expensive system but since all of the other bits couldn't sound different compared to my choices according to Julian, I felt they were a safe bet and as good spec-wise as anything else in their price range.

Long story short...it was the most God-awful hifi I've ever heard in my life.

EDIT: possibly another that was worse: Naim CDS and 52 feeding Krell 600 monoblocks into Apogee Grands
I have always favored 'the end first' - the speakers. Then go about, working backwards. During the 'this or that' to couple with one (at a time) set of speakers, various shortcomings and gains will appear in the then previous coupled chain. As human beings: it is natural to either love or hate certain indelible aspects of a speaker's presentation in the first few minutes. And usually nothing on earth will ever change that opinion from that moment.

Treat the speakers like a singer's voice. And then ask yourself 'what is the speaker 'trying to convey or do'?....as if it had 'some conscious mentality' of its own. I labelled one speaker playing a lady singing jazz ' a busty tart just trying to sit in one's lap, trying to seduce ', so forward - was its boosted mid range. Another
speaker I gave the verdict of being 'a painful ear driller': so edgy and thin in texture. Yet there it was, coupled to a expensive bank of its own same brand 'dedicated' amplification.
This talk we often hear : 'I want to get into ' ....' amplification!!! I shudder to think what they finally expect to get out of that rather myopic proposition. We do not listen per sec. to amplifiers. They are 'a purpose unit' . We only pay attention when they cannot do the job we require of them to drive a particular speaker properly

Tony

One of my best friends is a policeman. Thefts of hifi equipment is almost non existant because there are no dodgy customers who want it anymore.

A burglar would rather nick a wrist watch than an amplifier.

Regards

Mick
Lap top computers and Blu Ray DVD players are 'very in' at the moment. While standard DVD players are now considered by thieves as having the same obsolete currency, as video tape players. The best ruse I ever heard of.... A couple was rang up and told they had won a night out at some posh restaurant and tickets to some show. There was then even a courier to the door with the necessary tickets. Yes the booking at the restaurant was confirmed on checking Yes, The financial tabs for dinner had already taken care of. At the end of the night the couple arrived home. Home completely stripped.
It seems some thieves believe in a bit of investing to be able to go about their business , without hindrance.

Tony

One of my best friends is a policeman. Thefts of hifi equipment is almost non existant because there are no dodgy customers who want it anymore.

Regards

Mick

Look out, somebody has nicked your 'Arry is it.

DS

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always favored 'the end first' - the speakers. Then go about, working backwards. During the 'this or that' to couple with one (at a time) set of speakers, various shortcomings and gains will appear in the then previous coupled chain. As human beings: it is natural to either love or hate certain indelible aspects of a speaker's presentation in the first few minutes. And usually nothing on earth will ever change that opinion from that moment.

Treat the speakers like a singer's voice. And then ask yourself 'what is the speaker 'trying to convey or do'?....as if it had 'some conscious mentality' of its own. I labelled one speaker playing a lady singing jazz ' a busty tart just trying to sit in one's lap, trying to seduce ', so forward - was its boosted mid range. Another
speaker I gave the verdict of being 'a painful ear driller': so edgy and thin in texture. Yet there it was, coupled to a expensive bank of its own same brand 'dedicated' amplification.
This talk we often hear : 'I want to get into ' ....' amplification!!! I shudder to think what they finally expect to get out of that rather myopic proposition. We do not listen per sec. to amplifiers. They are 'a purpose unit' . We only pay attention when they cannot do the job we require of them to drive a particular speaker properly

Ter, none of that makes sense on any level IMHO.

Sounds like we have a different value system or way of hearing things ter. To be honest, I've never found much important differences to write home about between speakers other than bass extension, maximum SPLs and maybe a bit more clarity in the midband past a certain dollar point regardless of what's up front (flat or round earth gear.)

Those differences, for me, are simply not important. All of the "emotions" you've described above seem to be revealed or blocked with changes earlier in the chain from my experience and the "shrill" bit has always been traced to room acoustics or system/speaker setup problems or broken equipment. The only truly "shrill" high-end equipment I've heard where it did appear to a be a fault in the design was with a few pieces created back in the seventies but haven't been manufactured for decades now.

TBH, I could probably live with most any speaker system past a grand or so.

regards,

dave

Regards

Mick[/QUOTE]

I think even the averagely intelligent tea-leaf would deduce that where there lies expensive hifi, there's a good chance other goodies, cameras, tablets, iphones, etc, aren't far away.

advertisement

Back