advertisement

Hi-Fi Choice on the endangered species list!

I recently took out a three year subscription for the print version of Stereophile, so I sincerely hope it lasts at least that long! The first one dropped through the door a week or so ago, a very much thinner mag that I remember from 15 or so years ago when I last bought it, but still worth the discounted asking price - IIRC it was only about 50 quid for three years worth.

Cool stereo, cool pad, cool website, lots of cool records........I suppose everybody has a flaw, but why make it public?

Your Pal from Sunny Alberta
Louballoo

Lou,

If a man were to let you into his home and allow you use his amenities at no cost, would you insult him?

Joe

Chris,

£17k is ok for a kitchen, £25k for a car - for many families with regular jobs.... but £1k for hifi is way more than they'd ever consider.
It's even worse than that — my aunt and uncle have a boombox with a five-CD drawer.

Wanna guess how many discs they have?

Joe

Lou,

If a man were to let you into his home and allow you use his amenities at no cost, would you insult him?

Joe

Joe don't be so sensitive. I've never felt like we have to walk around on tip-toes.

Your Pal from the Western half of the country
Louballoo

''17K is ok for a kitchen''...not for me it isn't. And I speak as someone in the middle of having a new kitchen. I'd prefer to eat boiled eggs and have a Baby Belling, but my partner has different views. foolish woman, £17,000 would buy me a fabulous garden shed with double glazing and an attic (I have been reading the Wickes catalogue while pondering splashbacks).

I wouldnt spend the money I have in the past on hi-fi again. Not my top priority anymore.

Plus as I've said before I've realised I dont need to spend that much to enjoy the tunes.

Lou,

Joe don't be so sensitive. I've never felt like we have to walk around on tip-toes.
Who's being sensitive? It's not my place. I just work here.

Just saying you might not want to criticize the bloke who's footing the bill.

Joe

Lou has it in for stereophile, not sure why. I subscribe. It's a fun read for a buck an issue. It has nice pics of shiny audio gear. I chuckled to see Henry Rollins as a guest contributor this month.
rollins-LPs_600.jpg

Dan,

Yeah, I read that Henry is a big vinyl nutter, though I see that the Devil's spawn is on the shelf to his right.

Joe

Lou has it in for stereophile, not sure why. I subscribe. It's a fun read for a buck an issue. It has nice pics of shiny audio gear. I chuckled to see Henry Rollins as a guest contributor this month.
rollins-LPs_600.jpg

You've got me dangerously close to taking a subscription right there!

Dan,

Yeah, I read that Henry is a big vinyl nutter, though I see that the Devil's spawn is on the shelf to his right.

Joe

...and [guns to the] right [of [him]]

although i don't want to see the end of hi-fi, stereophile is a totally crap mag, in which hardly any product receives the slamming review it deserves.

nonetheless, the over-arching force here is marketing and it destroys everything it touches.

vuk.

IMHO all the HIFI/AV mags are to expensive and the content to thin and mainly being advertisments, if they were £2,95 or £3,25 they may get more interest.

TO is a preposition of forward movement.

TOO is an adverb meaning 'moreover' or 'to a higher degree'

Simply cannot understand why these are so often confused.

How the hell is Hifi plush staying in business when it reviews products of such expense that only around 5% of the population could afford it and its a shit size and the photos are not as good as before!

The Rules of the Game:

Magazines are in primarily in business to sell magazines. To succeed they sell advertising and to sell advertising, they must grant favourable reviews to manufacturers.

I doubt that HiFi Plush or any other rag for that matter, operates outside these rules.

Not entirely true Les.

Magazines are in the business of selling advertising and to do this they need to sell a large number of copies and to do this they need to include interesting content that people want to read. That they choose to arse lick manufacturers as the hand that feeds them is their own choice. I think most readers would prefer some honestly on the flaws of equipment rather than just rabid praise.

Perhaps i'm alone in that, I want to know the shortcomings of gear I might buy and the shortcomings of the manufacturers that I might potentially purchase from. After all no one wants crap hifi or to find themselves in bed with a brand that lies to them.

Yes, look, for example, at the cosy relationship that appears to be developing between Hifi World and Inspire Hifi.

IMHO all the HIFI/AV mags are to expensive and the content to thin and mainly being advertisments, if they were £2,95 or £3,25 they may get more interest.

Hearty agreement here!

I do sometimes feel like a quick pervy read of what's going on and I used to buy the top four mags each month up until a year or so ago, bit longer perhaps.

But four quid plus for a thin rag that is about one half ads is thievin' bollockery.

So no more of that and goodbye to you all.

Pity.

Chaps

I used to subscribe to Hifi+ for a few years and I have a row of the things in a bookshelf.

I stopped subscribing because it became like Topgear - very samey and boring.

I think an enthusiast can get more info from a forum like this than what can be gleaned from any mag.

Mick

advertisement

Back