advertisement

heybrook hb2r

gregor

pfm Member
I like these speakers and was wondering what is a good modern amp to drive them with. At present i use a Cambridge A1 with a 640p and a rega p2 with a denon dl-110, any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I'd look at a bigger Cambridge. Don't go too mad, but one of the "Azure" models should hopefully improve on what you have.

The 2r was an attempt to get more efficiency from the cabinet, so the mid was lifted in level and it appears the smooth, utterly "musical" and beguiling sound of the originals was traded for a leaner, more forward "flat earth" balance.

You could stay with the Cambridge A1 and upgrade to a P3 instead...

gregor,

You might know this already so forgive me if so. The HB2r was designed to be angled upwards at the front (so it faces slightly towards the ceiling). When new they came with a little wooden bar thingy that was to be fitted under the front bottom of it to lift it the required amount.

If these aren't fitted you might like to experiment like this to see (hear?) if they sound any better.

If I remember rightly they were quite a bright sound speaker so I'd bear this in mind when choosing another amp. Something smooth I would suggest.

Pinky

advertisement

Back