advertisement

Heybrook HB2

Guitarist 28

pfm Member
I recently bought a pair of the newer version of the Heybrook HB2 speakers and have no idea how good these are by todays standards? I bought these to use with my Cambridge A&R A60 and modified Arcam Alpha 7 CD?

I am currently thinking of moving up to the use of a Cambridge Audio CXA61 and CXC cd transport system as my main hifi system but think that I will need to upgrade my speakers to match.......

Any thoughts or advice will be most welcome.

Best Regards

Rob

Which ones? There are to my understanding three versions, the original with plain black baffles, the Mk IIs which had blue or green text on the baffles (can’t remember which colour), and then much, much later the brand was relaunched and I think there was a model called the HB2 again that had a white polypropylene bass unit.

My personal favourites are the first ones. They are seriously good speakers if working right and will scale up to real high-end kit (I’ve heard them on Krells etc).

I have a feeling Wilmslow Audio do a kit version of the Heybrooks.
They are a very good company and helped enormously with crossovers for a pair
of Royd Minstrels I was refurbishing for my son’s use.

The bass units of the ones I have are yellow and can be bi wired. They are double front ported.....I've not really had much chance to use them to be honest. I assume that these are the most modern version?

They are the most modern version and I know nothing about them other than I saw an exhibit at a hi-fi show once (hence knowing of their existence). I don’t know if they have any connection at all with the original company.

I've just seen a Heybrook HBC1 home cinema centre speaker and it looks of very similar design.......perhaps this is nothing to do with the originals at all.

I doubt many people will even know they exist. As I recall it Heybrook were long dead, then a range bearing the name appeared at the audio show I mention (would have been late-90s/early-00s from memory), and then they vanished without trace again. They stuck in my mind as I really liked the original ones. Whatever you have it is certainly rare, but beyond that I don’t know! Do they have a country of origin/manufacture anywhere? Any clues as to what the drivers are? Post some pics if you can as they are potentially interesting speakers.

I have a feeling Wilmslow Audio do a kit version of the Heybrooks.
They are a very good company and helped enormously with crossovers for a pair
of Royd Minstrels I was refurbishing for my son’s use.

They do a HB1 & HB2 kit listed under Classic Retro Designs in Speaker Kits.

My MkI HB2's were nice enough, good bass for a modest-sized speaker with sweet treble. Whilst i have no doubt that they would respond well to a better amplifier, I found that they became quite compressed at louder volume levels which I found limited their appeal.
I should have kept them out of sentimental value rather than selling them for a modest sum, but I am not sure that they would get much use compared to my current ATC SCM 40 set up.

advertisement

Back