advertisement

Heybrook HB1

I've been looking for some new speakers in springtime 2020 and got a pair of Wharfdale Linton 85 wich I kept for a year.

Since they produced too much bass for my neibours I began to look for smaller 2-way monitors and ended up with 8 pairs of older stuff among a pair of HEYBROOK HB-1 because an article about the ten best British bookshelf speakers mentioned the HD-1

I've been looking for some new speakers in springtime 2020 and got a pair of Wharfdale Linton 85 wich I kept for a year.

Since they produced too much bass for my neibours I began to look for smaller 2-way monitors and ended up with 8 pairs of older stuff among a pair of HEYBROOK HB-1 because an article about the ten best British bookshelf speakers mentioned the HD-1

I've heard a few people complain that the HB1 suffers from harsh treble. If that is true, I strongly suggest trying the JPW P1 / AP2 or AP3. They use the same bass driver but with a very nice tweeter.

Got a pair in absolute top condition with the foam surrounding having been renewed by a senior old man here in Berlin.

Sonically a bit strange with no bass at all and a tweeter that screemes at You a little to much but very nice to look at and a surprising clear lower midrange and top midrange for classic chamber music Jazz and vocals. How come ?

So I look inside the box an begin to understand what might be done to let it sound better.
35 years have passed and capacitors have gotten better and possibly I can do a bit of better inner damping ? ?

I'd like to post pictures of what I have done to the HB-1 but don't no how to manage.....

This little bass unit with no magnet at all an a 25mm voice coil is somewhat of a great singer I thought and took out the cheap white posts my stuff and replaced it with BONDUM 800 damping matt onto the woid panels. Later I filled the box with lose and cleaned Sheepwool ....
Yes pure sheepwool Scottish Welsh or German doesn't matter but shoul be dried before

Now the whole sound becomes very open an clear using my CYRUS 8vs2 unlike before.
Delightfull but still no bass and too much Schrilly......

Got a pair in absolute top condition with the foam surrounding having been renewed by a senior old man here in Berlin.

Sonically a bit strange with no bass at all and a tweeter that screemes at You a little to much but very nice to look at and a surprising clear lower midrange and top midrange for classic chamber music Jazz and vocals. How come ?

So I look inside the box an begin to understand what might be done to let it sound better.
35 years have passed and capacitors have gotten better and possibly I can do a bit of better inner damping ? ?

I'd like to post pictures of what I have done to the HB-1 but don't no how to manage.....

This little bass unit with no magnet at all an a 25mm voice coil is somewhat of a great singer I thought and took out the cheap white posts my stuff and replaced it with BONDUM 800 damping matt onto the woid panels. Later I filled the box with lose and cleaned Sheepwool ....
Yes pure sheepwool Scottish Welsh or German doesn't matter but shoul be dried before

Now the whole sound becomes very open an clear using my CYRUS 8vs2 unlike before.
Delightfull but still no bass and too much Schrilly......

Get some JPWs. Still not a massive amount of bass but tight as a drum, silky treble and excellent midrange.

Ok my writing is really bad ..... but this fine old speaker has great potential. 6 to 8 times I had it on my kitchen table to do changes on the x-over.

As I see the high cut is 6 dB/Oct and has a Impedance correction parallel but the Phillips 4.7yF in series is too large for a tweeter with no resonance volume behind.

After several tests I found an AUDYN Cap 3.3yF with an additional parallel faster 0.15 or 0.25yF high speed capacitor does the job very very well.
Muhndorf or Janzen anything of real quality will blend this tweeter much better into the quasi broadband paper cone bass unit.

After all the driver units are Danish made and still of a very good making. I added a Yamaha Subwoofer YST-SW515 wich I bought today for 150 Euro and tried some matching up with the retuned Heybrook.

With a fully orchestra organ concert or just a solo cello suite and certainly tomorrow Jazz...
I am soooo pleased with this audiophile transmission at mid and lower volumes I cannot tell You how much :))
Wich proves not any old stuff is outdated an not any new ist such a great achievement.

My latest acquisition a pair of brand new FISHHEAD Resolution 1.6bs is now an hold in the next room waiting. Almost a lifetime long I have been playing with speakers and many I had constructed by myself as I studied Acoustics at the University in my town.

May be HiFidelity is just an ongoing Autohypnosis ! ?

Ok my writing is really bad ..... but this fine old speaker has great potential. 6 to 8 times I had it on my kitchen table to do changes on the x-over.

As I see the high cut is 6 dB/Oct and has a Impedance correction parallel but the Phillips 4.7yF in series is too large for a tweeter with no resonance volume behind.

After several tests I found an AUDYN Cap 3.3yF with an additional parallel faster 0.15 or 0.25yF high speed capacitor does the job very very well.
Muhndorf or Janzen anything of real quality will blend this tweeter much better into the quasi broadband paper cone bass unit.

After all the driver units are Danish made and still of a very good making. I added a Yamaha Subwoofer YST-SW515 wich I bought today for 150 Euro and tried some matching up with the retuned Heybrook.

With a fully orchestra organ concert or just a solo cello suite and certainly tomorrow Jazz...
I am soooo pleased with this audiophile transmission at mid and lower volumes I cannot tell You how much :))
Wich proves not any old stuff is outdated an not any new ist such a great achievement.

My latest acquisition a pair of brand new FISHHEAD Resolution 1.6bs is now an hold in the next room waiting. Almost a lifetime long I have been playing with speakers and many I had constructed by myself as I studied Acoustics at the University in my town.

A lot of these old classics will absolutely destroy a lot of modern rubbish like the Kef LS50 - and at a fraction of the price.

Indeed this is my conclusion.

I bougt GENELEC 8040 B an new active monitor and had great difficulty to resell under 2000 Euro priced. It ended up as a gift to my cousin that has an architectural office fitting in optical very well.

You posted 4600 messages? Jesse's dear

That's nothing compared to some members - and I have been here since 2003 (I think it may have been 2002 if you count the old PFM forum). I was slim when I first joined, but obviously had some kind of premonition before I chose my username.

I’ve had other speakers with P1’s tweeter type, thought they were ok and even saved them when I binned the speakers.

Funny, I was given a rough pair of P1s with shot woofer surrounds. Always meant to swap them with the HB1’s drivers when I last saw they were good. I have no enthusiasm now as they’d occupy more space than the HB3s (the P1s need to be away from the wall), which I no longer have room for.

Does this arrangement make the top end smoother?

I’ve had other speakers with P1’s tweeter type, thought they were ok and even saved them when I binned the speakers.

Funny, I was given a rough pair of P1s with shot woofer surrounds. Always meant to swap them with the HB1’s drivers when I last saw they were good. I have no enthusiasm now as they’d occupy more space than the HB3s (the P1s need to be away from the wall), which I no longer have room for.

I have the opposite issue here! I have a pair of Mk1 HB3's but the layout of my room prohibits against-wall placement.
I remember them as a good speaker though. Very nice bass from the 10" Seas woofer in sealed enclosure. My Spendor BC2's beat them by a fair margin overall though back when I was able to swap between them now and then. They couldn't match the stereo depth, sound staging or transparency of the Spendors but were a good speaker nonetheless. A "musical" speaker that is enjoyable to listen to and err's on the side of euphonic colourations, making every thing sound "good/nice".... if I wanted to play a load of old Motown singles loudly and just enjoy the music I'd take the HB3's over the BC2's but if I wanted to be stunned at the sound quality of an audiophile jazz album it would be the BC2's

I have the opposite issue here! I have a pair of Mk1 HB3's but the layout of my room prohibits against-wall placement.
I remember them as a good speaker though. Very nice bass from the 10" Seas woofer in sealed enclosure. My Spendor BC2's beat them by a fair margin overall though back when I was able to swap between them now and then. They couldn't match the stereo depth, sound staging or transparency of the Spendors but were a good speaker nonetheless. A "musical" speaker that is enjoyable to listen to and err's on the side of euphonic colourations, making every thing sound "good/nice".... if I wanted to play a load of old Motown singles loudly and just enjoy the music I'd take the HB3's over the BC2's but if I wanted to be stunned at the sound quality of an audiophile jazz album it would be the BC2's
Spendor made beautiful drivers. Heavy duty cast chassis with flared cones made of doped paper, I think.

I believe the last version of the HB3 improved on the previous ones. Mine have a pebbled grey baffle, not common AFAIK.

Spendor made beautiful drivers. Heavy duty cast chassis with flared cones made of doped paper, I think.

I believe the last version of the HB3 improved on the previous ones. Mine have a pebbled grey baffle, not common AFAIK.

Spendor famously used Bextrene cones! (invented them in fact.... long story involving BBC).Heavy cast chassis and flared though yes. Your HB3's should have the midrange unit at the top if they are MkII ones.

Spendor famously used Bextrene cones! (invented them in fact.... long story involving BBC).Heavy cast chassis and flared though yes. Your HB3's should have the midrange unit at the top if they are MkII ones.
What's the deal with Bextrene? I know it was used in other speakers but know nothing about the material.

Yep, my HB3s have the mids at the top. The surrounds, which were flagging when I bought the speakers, are completely buggered now. Again, because I can't use the speakers, I have no enthusiasm to repair them.

What's the deal with Bextrene? I know it was used in other speakers but know nothing about the material.

Yep, my HB3s have the mids at the top. The surrounds, which were flagging when I bought the speakers, are completely buggered now. Again, because I can't use the speakers, I have no enthusiasm to repair them.

Google is your friend;)

Hb1s, they were my first ever speakers. At the end of the day, good as they were, they were budget speakers.

TBH, although a little rough around the edges, I thought the HB1's were pretty impressive for the price at the time. I could hear why they won all those "best budget speaker" awards. I don't recall them being bass light, as someone suggested above, either... no more than expected for a stand mount speaker of the size. In fact on a couple of occasions I heard them on the end of pretty high end systems and they didn't disgrace themselves. Quite dynamic and lively sounding things that can make a good stab at imaging and depth at best. I can also see how they could make a dogs dinner of what they would have been fed by a "Linn Basik" cart and a budget amplifier!

The HB2s had bextrene woofers. Mine are in storage and the woofers look to be as good as new. I did change the voice coil on the tweeters when Audax resumed selling to Joe Public. I keep saying I should downsize from my WD25Ts (avatar) and go back to standmounts but never seem to have the time and my back hurts. I also intended building Robert’s AR22 Tribute standmounts and have the BMRs and AR 8 inch woofers ready to refoam - did anyone try them ? No one seems to talk about BMRs any more.

advertisement

Back