advertisement

Herbie Mann

John

Rack’em Up!
At the present, I own none of his music, but just placed an order for the following:

MANN HERBIE/FAMILY OF MANN - - FIRST LIGHT
MANN HERBIE - - BE BOP SYNTHESIS
MANN HERBIE - - AT THE VILLAGE GATE
MANN HERBIE - - STANDING OVATION AT NEWPORT
MANN HERBIE - - CONCERTO GROSSO IN D BLUES
MANN HERBIE - - FLUTE BRASS VIBES and PERCUSSION

Any good ones there?

Best,
John

Originally posted by johngilleran

Any good ones there?
I'm very very tempted to say no, but maybe he did do something good?
Also check out Hubert Laws if you like jazz flute.

I've got two of his 60s albums; My Kind of Groove and Today!, both are really good in a chilled 'soul-jazz' kind of way. Good funky grooves.

Tony.

Thanks guys,

They didn't cost me much so I thought I'd take a chance with them. I did get to listen to a few of them briefly on AMG and most seemed interesting. I'll report back once I get to listen to them.

John

and 'Out of Africa'. The first is banal and forgetable the latter imaginative and exciting. Some of these people have extensive careers. Catch them on a good day and the dog is an angel - very frustrating for us who like our music nice and tidy.

Oh well....

Got my package of records yesterday and one that stands out immediately as outstanding is "Be Bop Synthesis", the only record in the bunch that was still sealed. It's a 1976 Savoy reissue of "Yardbird Suite" that was recorded in 1957. I see from the album cover that the famous Rudy Van Gelder is the engineer. Great recording! If you like Jazz from this time period, I would pick this one up if you see it. Tony, I think this is one you would enjoy.

c52131r4x57.jpg

AMG writup

This one was released in 1974 and upon hearing "Sunrise Highs" I immediately thought Steven Stills must have been listening to this song when he wrote the beginning riff for the song "Dark Star" which is on the album "CSN", 1977.

This album is the first of a few recordings he did with Tony Levin and also contains Steve Gadd on drums. The picture of the band on the record sleeve is a crack up. :D

I also noticed the record album label and the record sleeve listing the songs are marked 'side one' and 'side a' for the other side. Was this beginning of such silliness. :rolleyes:

Read the description here and if it sounds good to you, add it to the list.

AMG

advertisement

Back