advertisement

Herbie Hancock plays the Imagine Project

Just seen him at Montreux last week, for the first time. Much of it is great but not everything - Herbie is IMO among the very best piano players and arrangers, and he proves it once again. I just wasn't too impressed by the bass player, a very pretty 24 year old girl but she was just that, pretty. Basswise I far preferred the one who opened the show with Quincy Jones' Band, it was Pino Palladino - I didn't know him before but *hell* that was another level!

Just to make your mouth water, I saw Chick Corea a few days beforehand, very good too with a rock-solid Roy Haynes on drums and a Kenny Garrett in top shape. Another great evening. Enjoy!

It wasn't that much of an Imagine project actually. It's rather a set of variations around a number of well-known hippie themes. 'Imagine' of course, but also some Bob Dylan, Carole King and a few others - among them IIRC some Harrison stuff, all of it sounding very jazzy. Apart from that he of course couldn't refrain from playing a very interesting version of Cantaloupe Island. The only really boring parts were those where he played that impossible white keyboard he carried with a belt around his neck, don't know how the hell this instrument is called.

Roland AX-7. It's a tough act to pull off with dignity intact, but Herbie is among the few who can. Lack of spandex helps in that regard.

Pino Palladino has been touring with whats left of The Who (ie Daltrey/Townshend) and is John Mayer's bass player of choice

I remember Billy Preston playing a keyboard "guitar" around his neck when he supported the Stones in 1973 (and then played keyboards with them as the main act )..incredible performer.

Cheese, you sound rather underwhelmed? I am rather looking forward to it ...is he past his best and simply on the pension plan tour?

Cheese, no idea who is in his band for the UK concert in Manchester i am going to see or the support. Does anyone else know who features on the UK/European tour?

Oh sorry I misunderstood you - you'll find the list here.

I was far from underwhelmed (except by the decorative but so-so bass player) but it is true that due to a cold, I was extremely tired that evening and I couldn't fully appreciate the concert, and I'd return anytime.

advertisement

Back