Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee Thread

Discussion in 'off topic' started by notaclue, May 19, 2022.

1. tones

tones Tones deaf

My feeling (as an Irishman) is that royalty is an echo of times of former greatness for a country now playing in the second division and possibly facing further relegation, and that this is why so many of the public generally support it.

2. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I think it has more to do with a human need to worship something. We still live in a world beyond our understanding, and we need something to connect us to the divine, to that which rules over us.

3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs looking backwards, going forwards

4. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Exactly. Never done a genuine day's work really...why she's lived so long.

5. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

Is she giving Andy centre stage,it's only weeks since
    the "palace"were putting out statements supporting him.
    If you want a polemic on the monarchy read Hazlitt.

6. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

Living abroad I am expecting a few temporary refugees from the event.

Nic Robinson likes this.
  7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I will be celebrating various events in torbay including the rather super torbay air show

stairpost and Big Tabs like this.
  8. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Why do you think she’s never done a days work? Do you know what she does on a day to day basis?

stairpost and gintonic like this.
  9. BillT

BillT pfm Member

45 years ago on the Silver Jubilee, I seem to recall being rather bored with the whole thing and listening to my newly aquired punk records. 45 years on, I dont think anything will change that much, just different music (maybe).

Nic Robinson likes this.
  10. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I just dislike the whole manipulative pantomime. A Conservative Party political broadcast which we are all expected to take part in. Yes I know I can ignore it but it will be all over the media, there will be flags in the streets, ‘royal promotions’ in every pub, shop and village. It reinforces the values that maintain inequality, and privilege. I find the whole thing sickening.

11. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

No doubt she does does work, but the question remains as to why that work is deemed to be a some sort of selfless devotion worthy of worship, rather than what is actually is, an extraordinarily well paid job with no entry qualifications and a vast array of fringe benefits given to a long line of hangers on who make no contribution to this country, and in some cases are gun dealers, Nazi sympathisers, racists and, allegedly, paedophiles who regardless of their obvious flaws still have their extraordinary social and economic advantages as a matter of birthright

However, the bigger problem is symbolic and democratic rather than economic and moral. A monarchy is a symbol of unconditional worship of worth based on divine right, hereditary and hierarchy which is at odds with a democratic principle of worth based on merit serving the ends of human rights and human equality

irons1965, Fatmarley, CTank and 8 others like this.
  12. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Well Andrew, I'm sure she's put the hours in sitting in her Rolls, private jets and helicopters, cutting ribbons, attending to matters of state (albeit with no influence upon them) etc. But it's what most women I know do that she doesn't. The list might include: shopping for food, clothing etc., cooking, washing, ironing, making a brew and washing it up, dealing with tradespeople, bringing up the kids, the school run, getting the car's MOT done, making ends meet etc (that's just off the top of my head). I'm sure she wipes her own bum, so I'll grant you that.

That's before we mention every single person she has encountered in 70 years bowing/curtseying, laughing at her jokes, never contradicting her blah blah.

It's a strange world for sure. And not one I would personally wish to inhabit - but then I'd have to shoot myself, wouldn't I? Anachronistic, absurd, feudal and irrelevant. And, crucially perpetuating the deference we seem to have in our national DNA to unearned wealth and undeserved status.

miktec, palindrome, Ginger and 2 others like this.
  13. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I like living in a Monarchy. Others would rather shoot the monarchy and throw them down a well. Luckily I live in a monarchy where all views are allowed.

stairpost likes this.
  14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

You say ‘all views are allowed’, but in the same paragraph you characterise anyone who disagrees with your view as someone intent on murder and well pollution, which does rather echo the flawed monarchist view of freedom of speech and equality of opportunity

Monitor Gold 10, Jimin, CTank and 3 others like this.
  15. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Assuming for a minute all views are allowed here in Britain (good luck with that), what is the logic behind that statement?

16. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Indeed. Freedom of speech is written into the constitution of the USA, which is a republic AFAIK.

17. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Except disliking the monarchy......

ks.234 likes this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You are clearly restricting our throwing them down a well. I’m open to compromise, e.g. let Brenda see out her time, then the well for the rest of them. Can we start with the pedophile?

Jimin and ks.234 like this.
  19. MVV

MVV pfm Member

I don't 'dislike' the Monarchy and I don't want anyone shot and thrown down a well. I would like to live somewhere that isn't imbued in structural institutional inequality. The Monarchy and all it's symbols is a deeply insidious political institution and it wouldn't surprise me if the 'Royal family themselves don't fully realise that. However Mogg, Johnson, Cameron et al are very aware of the power it lends them.

Suffolk Tony and droodzilla like this.
  20. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

:D:D:D Can I award "Post of the Day" to the forum owner?