advertisement

Her Majesty the Queen RIP

Wifey just mentioned they are lowering the volume of the bleeps in Morrisons! Even bleeps are bowing.
I wonder how many of the ‘don’t knows’ are making up their minds this fortnight?

OMG there is to be a radio special of "Number 1's from the Queen's reign"! So... all of them then as the charts started in 1952...

Expect the likes of "HM was known to like jam and once went down to a tubestation within 12 hours of midnight to open a new platform", "The Queen was pictured with a glass of bucks fizz at a reception for the New Zealand ambassador in 1976 and was well known to be quick at making her mind up"

Update 10 mins later: /\ 'kin 'ell they actually just listed on R2 the times that HM visited underground stations to open new platforms etc!

North Korea. Isn’t that where there exists a cult of personality around a venerated, unelected and hereditary head of state, upon whose passing it is mandatory to display public grief and where the state broadcaster runs endless fawning tributes?
Striking similarities, though also stark differences....

Wifey just mentioned they are lowering the volume of the bleeps in Morrisons! Even bleeps are bowing.
I wonder how many of the ‘don’t knows’ are making up their minds this fortnight?
On the plus side, the National Insurance Helpline has laid off the little synth-led band that plays their jingles in between the woman intoning “your call will be answered by the next available operative” and replaced it with a rather sombre-sounding string quartet. Definitely a move up-market, although I trust they are all wearing evening suits and bow ties.

I’m still a rabid, card-carrying ‘don’t care.’

On the plus side, the National Insurance Helpline has laid off the little synth-led band that plays their jingles in between the woman intoning “your call will be answered by the next available operative” and replaced it with a rather sombre-sounding string quartet. Definitely a move up-market, although I trust they are all wearing evening suits and bow ties.

I’m still a rabid, card-carrying ‘don’t care.’
I’m also in the ‘don’t care’ camp, but Mrs H, previously mildly monarchist, has hinted that the ongoing mournfest has made her wonder what the Royal Family is actually for.

The anticipation is starting to get to me! How many more days have we got? They say we've lost the 'bulldog breed' spirit but who else could endure it? Feel the burn, dig in, make it happen! That's what I say. I've got a sleeping bag and a chair and am heading for Whitehall, plan to get a 'pitch' on Saturday pm and wait it out. I've gathered together a clover, a leak a piece of tartan and a sausage to represent the nations of the United Kingdom which I plan to have with me. I've stocked up on Scotch eggs, Soreen and Tizer so hoping for the best.

Performative mourning off the scale. Ridiculous excuses for closing stuff down, from people who lost their sh1t when facing a health lockdown. I have no particular issue with a Monarch as head of state and every sympathy with anyone's family bereavement, but once again the country has gone mad. Some of this as Ian Dale on LBC pointed out is just mindless virtue signalling and would certainly be called out as such for any other subject.

Decided to go for Westminster Hall tonight. Risky because the scotch eggs have a shelf life outside the fridge. May have to restock. Or go for a coolbox; all a bit tricky on the train. Still, got the old golfing brolly!

Does anyone know who the man was walking to the King’s right hand side today? Army ceremonial uniform ( long black coat). Perhaps Captain Pb Stopper?

I’m also in the ‘don’t care’ camp, but Mrs H, previously mildly monarchist, has hinted that the ongoing mournfest has made her wonder what the Royal Family is actually for.
I still don’t really know what this apparently ‘enforced mourning’ involves. I don’t know how to mourn, no-one I know considers themselves to be mourning, and all the pictures I see when I Google search ‘mourning Queen Elizabeth’ are of crowds pointing their phones at the hearse, which seems to be more ‘enforced photo-op’ to me.

Decided to go for Westminster Hall tonight. Risky because the scotch eggs have a shelf life outside the fridge. May have to restock. Or go for a coolbox; all a bit tricky on the train. Still, got the old golfing brolly!
Good luck! My mother was there for the Coronation. I’ll raise a glass (or maybe mug of coffee) to you as I tackle Bredon Hill on Monday morning.

You are Joe Lycett and I claim my £5.

You have to tip the cap where it is deserved, BBC radio 4 morning news has managed to stretch this out non stop with nothing else to say, day in, day out, that takes skill. Ol' Martha even manages to sound mournful all the time. I also like how the bbc news website has no way to access uk news other than a coffin.

Does anyone know who the man was walking to the King’s right hand side today? Army ceremonial uniform ( long black coat). Perhaps Captain Pb Stopper?

The chap carrying the black and gold baton? I wondered who that was as well. Initial though was head of the defence staff but the uniform and his age suggested not.

advertisement

Back