advertisement

Her Majesty the Queen RIP

I thought BBC4 was now being reinstated as BBCRoyal - constant rolling live streamed video 24/7 of Royals - a bit like the Kardashians - complete with hushed commentary "here is a prince, going for his breakfast, notice how they choose the honey this morning rather than the jam".......

I thought BBC4 was now being reinstated as BBCRoyal - constant rolling live streamed video 24/7 of Royals - a bit like the Kardashians - complete with hushed commentary "here is a prince, going for his breakfast, notice how they choose the honey this morning rather than the jam".......
There has to be mileage in a spoof funeral procession, with a David Attenborough voiceover. Or would that get the channel that aired it cancelled?

There's a Freeview channel called Talking Pictures TV, which has some good films...
It showed Gonks Go Beat last year, and for that reason alone it deserves to exist. But my set has been off since the end of May, and I’m not tempted to switch it back on again yet. If I ever am, no doubt the batteries will have oozed over the inside of the remote control and destroyed it. That’ll delay the evil day a little longer.

It showed Gonks Go Beat last year, and for that reason alone it deserves to exist. But my set has been off since the end of May, and I’m not tempted to switch it back on again yet. If I ever am, no doubt the batteries will have oozed over the inside of the remote control and destroyed it. That’ll delay the evil day a little longer.
We went for several years without a TV, and only got one because my daughter's then-boyfriend was upgrading and let us have his old TV for free. It's fairly antiquated, not flat-screen, no remote, only 32", but it's enough for our limited requirements of watching Seinfeld DVDs and the occasional film. Sky Arts recently showed some rarely screened Hitchcock films ('Marnie' and 'Rope'), and TPTV has had some classics on (amongst a lot of dross, admittedly).

Plus... I must say that the anecdotes about Her Majesty's sense of humour have been most underwhelming. There was one today presented as if to show her wonderful good humour. It went like this... The Queen asked a non-humorous question, received a mildly humorous answer (from the man recounting the anecdote), and the punchline was that she had smiled. That was it. :confused: Not exactly Tommy Cooper, was she?

Plus... I must say that the anecdotes about Her Majesty's sense of humour have been most underwhelming. There was one today presented as if to show her wonderful good humour. It went like this... The Queen asked a non-humorous question, received a mildly humorous answer (from the man recounting the anecdote), and the punchline was that she had smiled. That was it. :confused: Not exactly Tommy Cooper, was she?
Then again, TC didn't major on a dry sense of humour.

Before I moderate comments on this RIP thread, please stop with the anti Monarchy sarcasm and bile.

There is another thread for clever passive aggressive posts, this isn’t it.

I’ll do some clean up anyway as some posts are just, well not for an RIP thread.

I had a note from CIPA (the UK's Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys) yesterday - it said that the long-planned annual congress with guest speakers and all the rest had been cancelled because the venue (the QEII Centre) was closed for events as a result of the Queen's death. I can understand respect for the Queen's death, but I don't get why normal life should come to a complete standstill. As John Oliver nicely put it, the UK is still reeling from the news of the death of a 96 year-old woman from natural causes.

The Charles one is a bit tame. We want to really not have to hold back.

To be honest, I think the forum's been a bit short of bile for some time so you might be stretched starting a new thread (probably not enough to go round...)

Plenty of sarcasm going spare though .... and more than ample genuine grievances ;)

Ample grievances, but pretty short on grieving.

Did I ever mention that my Mother long ago informed me that I had been held in the Queen Mum's arms as a bairn in NFLD?

Apparently, one of us drooled upon the other.

Before I moderate comments on this RIP thread, please stop with the anti Monarchy sarcasm and bile.

There is another thread for clever passive aggressive posts, this isn’t it.

I’ll do some clean up anyway as some posts are just, well not for an RIP thread.

Thank goodness, we need moments of quiet reflection at times like this. I for one will be following British Cycling's advice and not cycling on Monday as a mark of respect.

I've not kept up with the thread so sure others have said the same but this is getting quite ridiculous... as expected....

Interviews with someone who once made horse shoes for QE2's horses, headlines of "Breaking news: Queens coffin lays in state of rest in Edinburgh" (Gee I was expecting it to do barrel rolls!), a phone in about Charles' fountain pen leaking on the radio this morning! Now there is to be continuous live coverage of the stationary coffin on BBC...

advertisement

Back