advertisement

Help with getting my HIFI and TV to sync.....

rossini

pfm Member
Hello all.

I have just bought myself an LG Infinia 55 inch 55LX9900. As a Blu-ray player I’m using a Sony BDP-S570.

To connect the two I have an 8m length of ‘Chord HDMI Active High Speed with Ethernet’. I have hooked up the Blu-ray player to my HiFi (Naim 52, supercap, Nap 500 into Focal 1037’s) but there is a problem...

The picture and sound is out of Sync! It seems the picture is being processed faster than the sound... One is digital and the other analogue, maybe this is the reason? Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

I can’t use a 5.1 processer to solve this problem (even though I have been told that such processers have the functionality to handle this problem) because I want to keep my 2 channal HiFi intact, but maybe there is something that I could buy which goes in-between the HDMI output on the Blu-ray player and the input on the TV??

You help will be greatly appreciated.....

I assume you've tried conecting the TV to the hi-fi and the same problem exists?

Have a hunt through the setup menus on the blu-ray player, there should be an adjustment for sync.

exactly.... I had the same problem. TVs now process the video so much that if you take audio out from the source directly to the amp, the sound comes sooner. Most noticable on poorer video sources like TV, DVD, downloads. Blu Ray is about ok.

So the solution is to run an audio cable from the audio out on the TV to the amp, and then the TV corrects this discord.

I assume you've tried conecting the TV to the hi-fi and the same problem exists?

Have a hunt through the setup menus on the blu-ray player, there should be an adjustment for sync.

I have spent a good while looking through the various menus on the Blu-ray player, and have not come up with anything. If there was a function that helped with this it would be the easiest solution...

exactly.... I had the same problem. TVs now process the video so much that if you take audio out from the source directly to the amp, the sound comes sooner. Most noticable on poorer video sources like TV, DVD, downloads. Blu Ray is about ok.

So the solution is to run an audio cable from the audio out on the TV to the amp, and then the TV corrects this discord.

Tbh, I never thought of that, yes it might solve the problem thanks. I will try this and get back to you.

Cheers.

Tbh, I never thought of that, yes it might solve the problem thanks. I will try this and get back to you.

Cheers.
This is the obvious solution. It also means that when you watch "TV" instead of DVD/BD, you can still use your hi-fi for sound instead of the poor audio in the TV. I've done this for years.

I have spent a good while looking through the various menus on the Blu-ray player, and have not come up with anything. If there was a function that helped with this it would be the easiest solution...

I have a Sony up-sampling DVD, I'll post in more detail where to find it later, I'm a bit busy at the moment.

I get a similar problem with the sound on my LG TV when watching HD channels on Freesat (fine on non-HD channels).
The freesat box (Humax) has a sync feature but this only makes it worse as it adds extra delay, I need negative delay :confused:

But what a retrograde step when Lossless 5/1 or 7/1 sound is available that is of much higher resolution than even CD. A Sony 570 Blu Ray is set up, to even handle 3-D -through HDMI 1.4 cabling . Not made or meant to be coupled to the superseded application ways of old. We are coming in the Age of 'fast and slow technologies ' being coupled together by some..

AV technology is itself, is becoming a 'no compromise' situation as well.
The only real way to get what it is really capable of : is new proper correct connecting AV cabling , and a really modern AV amp up to the mark - that does full parametric full frequency sweepsfor each channel in any individual room.- as well as these checks - then stores the measurement information. The displayed distances for each speaker from microphone source if checked one finds is also an truly accurate physical measurement down to the nearest cm! Even then, there are facilities to personally adjust further - the frequency settings , if one is 'so obsessed' . Then by taking the sound signal directly out of the Blu Ray and letting the AV itself do all the digital processing.. you can have all the PRaT and MORE.... than all the stereo piles of T-model Ford equipment what preceded it ..You can even play it in 2 of its many 'purist' channels if one wishes .

The TV itself may have a delay setting hidden in the menu.
I hardly ever use it now, but the DVD player is connected for audio & video to the TV via hdmi, the TV then connects via optical to a DAC and from there into the hifi (Mac Mini for online /file playback also connects via USB into the same DAC). This works perfectly well, and there are plenty of cheap and perfectly good DACs available. Also gives the option of listening on cans without having to turn the entire audio system on.

Google may be your friend

I don't mean to hi-jack rossini's thread, but I too have a lip syncing problem. On the telly that is...:rolleyes:

I put a sky+ box through the DAC, and never have had perfect syncing. Oddly, the audio seems to precede the picture movement, despite the extra equipment that processes it. Is there provision on sky+ to adjust this?

The problem is worse if we watch a DVD on the MACMini through the DAC, though I would suppose some alternative downloadable players must have options to adjust lip syncing.

Video typically goes through more processing steps than audio.
I don't know the details of the Sky+ box, but you could probably fix this by sending the audio from the Sky+ box to your TV over HDMI (if available) and taking the optical out from the TV. Alternatively, the Sky box almost certainly has an audio delay available in the menu.
I have an old Mac Mini (2005) that has a video only DVI output (to hdmi input on the TV). Sound is routed via USB. Absolutely no sync issues with files or BBC, Hulu etc. I don't use it to play DVDs though.
Anyway, the very excellent Audio Hijack Pro from Rogue Amoeba Software has (amongst much, much else) at least one delay plug-in. VLC for playback of files and DVDs is excellent software and also has audio delay.
HTH!

Alan download and use XBMC for dvd playback. This has full audio sync options as well as myriad video options as well.

Just turn off the auto open dvd player from apple prefs.

Good new is XBMC even excepts apple remote commands and harmony remotes as well through the mini. Shweet.

Video typically goes through more processing steps than audio.
I don't know the details of the Sky+ box, but you could probably fix this by sending the audio from the Sky+ box to your TV over HDMI (if available) and taking the optical out from the TV. Alternatively, the Sky box almost certainly has an audio delay available in the menu.
I have an old Mac Mini (2005) that has a video only DVI output (to hdmi input on the TV). Sound is routed via USB. Absolutely no sync issues with files or BBC, Hulu etc. I don't use it to play DVDs though.
Anyway, the very excellent Audio Hijack Pro from Rogue Amoeba Software has (amongst much, much else) at least one delay plug-in. VLC for playback of files and DVDs is excellent software and also has audio delay.
HTH!

Thanks for all the replies so far. I still haven't found a solution though... In my case the audio is behind the picture! Ideally I want to be able to ''slow down'' the picture slightly so it becomes in-sync....

I can not connect my TV out to my preamp as the TV only has optical out and the Naim pre does not support this. So the only option left to me is to find a way to delay the picture slightly....somehow....

Well cheers for the help. I have sorted the issue now ;-). It seems there are two menus on the blu-ray player; one of them does have an AV sync feature which I have used to delay the picture output by 80ms....

Works perfectly now.

Cheers.

Regarding the humax lip synch and it working for SD but not HD..... well it's probably because you adjusted the lip synch as best as you could for SD, which then throws HD off because it requires less video processing by the TV.

Took me a while to figure this inconsistency out =) but have 100% success ever since taking audio out of the TV to the amp.

(a good test is to put audio out from TV and amp at the same time...if it echos it's out of whack)

Joel & Gary - thank you very much. I really appreciate your time.
I will definitely be having a play over the holidays to try & solve this; VLC was part of the plan as well. :):)

advertisement

Back