advertisement

Help with diode choice problem please

Mynamemynaim

38yrs a Naim owner
So i was going to make 4 Hackercap boards for my duel Mono build

BUT stupidly I've only just noticed the Schottky diodes I have/want to use are normal 3 leg duel diodes and the Hackercap boards I want to use are just single diode boards!

Does that mean the Hackercap boards will be just half wave rectified if I put the correct single diodes in? will this affect performance?? is there a better solution?

I was hoping for the best / smoothest power supply possible to feed the Avondale boards ...and I'm now not sure these fit the bill

some advice from the more experienced in these matters please?? (apologies to all I've missed off)
@martin clark
@PigletsDad
@337alant
@chiily
@Mike Hanson
@hacker !!
@bugbear
@Mr Pig
@glenn jarrett
@booja30
@laverda
@sam_cat
@Arkless Electronics

51326628494_fd6d6ec79c_c.jpg
[/url]Boards by rock solid, on Flickr

But the boards that use the double diodes also use 4 of the double regs ....so is that a better solution?

Sorry that makes no sense. What do you mean by "double regs"?

A full wave single phase rectifier uses four diodes if using the standard bridge (Graetz bridge) configuration.

The only type that uses just one of those dual rectifier packages is the bi-phase type full wave rectifier which is much rarer and gives only one supply polarity from a centre tapped transformer. This is the type generally used in valve amplifiers which use valve rectifiers. The only SS amps that uses it that spring to mind is some Naim models.

The dual package is available in anode centre and cathode centre types and you can use one of each type to build a Graetz bridge. You would also need one of each type to do it the Naim way as there is - as well as + rail used.

Sorry I made a mistake saying reg ...I meant double diode
Thanks for the explanation...but it's lost me a little

The hackercap boards should give a + and - rectified voltage for my amp
But with only 4 single diodes per hackercap...does that give full wave rectified volts for plus and minus...from your explanation I think not ?

Yes it does. Either from a bridge, or from two lots of bi phase rectification if it copies the Naim method (I'm not familiar with Hackernap specifics as I ain't a Naim fan and take little notice of such things but I've covered both possibles). If it's the latter then there will two separate centre tapped transformer windings or two transformers each with a centre tapped winding (each of these centre tapped windings could also be made up from two windings in series with middle connection being the centre tap)

I think maybe it's best if I make up a hackercap board complete (there not built yet) and then compare the output with another board I have with 4 x Duel diodes on it (via my 'scope)

If the output looks similar (or better still, smoother) then I will continue with the hackercap
If (as I suspected it may) the hackercap doesn't match up to the 4 x Duel diode boards...then I'll have to rethink what I am going to put in the amp

Ps
What are the best single diodes to use on the hackercap please...to give it the best chance of success?

The "smoothness" is dependent on how much smoothing capacitance is used, whether there are any other filtration elements (CRC etc) and the load on it. All should seem pretty much perfect with no load. The things which seem to concern you don't actually matter.

Any diodes (rectifiers) of more than adequate specs will do just fine so each rectifier 10A or more and a standard voltage that is way more than adequate would be 400V. They don't need to be Schottky and in fact you will have trouble finding high enough voltage rated Schottky's.

Thanks chops!

The other one suggested is out of stock at RS and your one has a high voltage rating (if that makes any difference over "more than adequate")

You’re welcome. I can’t remember if I bought mine from Farnell or CPC. It was quite a while ago.

Qspeed 10a 300v, job done, fast, smooth, no recovery spike.

@Mynamemynaim - I can spare 16 6A/300v Qspeeds (LQA06T300) in the right package to fit - total overkill for what you want; if you like that idea just drop me a pm with postal address, and yours 'free' if perhaps you donate a sum of your choosing to pfm when you receive them :)

advertisement

Back