advertisement

Help: Where are DPA Digital?

Nice to see this thread still going six years since I posted it - and nice to note that DPA have reformed. Is Rob Watts involved?

Nice to see this thread still going six years since I posted it - and nice to note that DPA have reformed. Is Rob Watts involved?

Deltec Precision Audio, rather than DPA, has been reformed. Rob Watts is not involved, the new designer is Dave Clarke. The DPA-CA1 & DPA-SA1, pre and stereo amplifiers, were reviewed in the March issue of HiFi World with the comments that it had enduring musicality.

Not really much of an accomplishment, an overly bright dac or so I have been informed regards the Chord 64?

As to why Rob Watts is not involved with the new Deltec; no one likes him.

Rare on the market and by all accounts, great sound. Getting a bit old now and I'd be worried about spare parts availability, but other than that, wouldn't be a bad buy if you're into solid state amps. I'd say they'd probably fetch 400 pounds 2nd hand (UK pounds) off somewhere like Ebay. There's an auction going for one (US) at the moment I think. He wants 600 US dollars from memory.

Dave

Wow what a long-lived thread!

I'm diving in, as I've just received an Arcam Delta 170.3 and a DPA Little Bit Three.

I have questions.. of course.. :)

The DPA uses a Yamaha chip which Tom described as 'crude'. My expectations of this DAC are fairly moderate given it's age.. I'm not looking for reassurance... but I am interested in an assessment of it's technical abilities (or lack thereof), how well it performs against modern DACs, any other quirks of note. Just curious...

The coaxial inputs work fine on this one, but I'm not sure about the optical. Feeding a signal from a Panasonic DMR-E85 I get noise. From an XBOX.. the sound is OK, but there are occasional glitches (which I presume could pose a risk to tweeters?). Curiously, these seem more prevalent on quieter passages. Using the 170.3 I don't hear any obvious fault, but I was fairly shocked that it sounds quite a lot different to the coaxial input!! Not warmer as the two page photocopied "handbook" suggests - actually a lot more high end. Now I'm wondering if the optical input on the DPA is weak, and the Arcam puts out more light or better precision and thus is able to pass a better signal, but it still introduces jitter... or maybe the cable is poor.. or.... anybody got any thoughts on this??

Also the input switch is a bit iffy.. is that easy to replace??

Readers may be amazed to learn the Arcam is fully working bar one minor fault - the drawer mechanism sometimes doesn't work properly. It can come out a little bit then pulls itself back in. I guess I need to lubricate the guides and/or change the belt?? Still.. for a drive of this age.. impressive!!

(BTW I'm not an engineer or anything but I like to 'dabble'...)

Sorry for all the questions.. you know how it is.. :)

The coaxial inputs work fine on this one, but I'm not sure about the optical. Feeding a signal from a Panasonic DMR-E85 I get noise. From an XBOX.. the sound is OK, but there are occasional glitches (which I presume could pose a risk to tweeters?).

Well I found the glitches went away if I don't 'click' the cable in at the XBOX source end and leave it hanging out slightly.. hmmm

Not really much of an accomplishment, an overly bright dac or so I have been informed regards the Chord 64?

As to why Rob Watts is not involved with the new Deltec; no one likes him.

Blimey you're a class act, anyone else you'd like to badmouth so you can impress us with your maturity?

Hello world! (Like when we learned the 'C' language)
I have a little problem today with Bigger Bits and T1 transport.
While I was doing tests which sounded better between cable coax and opt. exit optc. T1 has stopped working. Can you help me? Since T1 is based on CD52mkII Marantz but it has no optical out in original version. I did not find the pattern.
It is possible that the transmitter is broken? If change is a simple operation?
Thanks to all who answer.
GABRIELE from Italy.

The coax and optical are fed the same SPDIF signal. So if the coaxial output still works, then yes it is just the optical transmitter or the +5v supply to it that needs checking.

He can be the best guy in the world there's no need to bad mouth third parties who aren't present, even if he's an utter twat, it just cheapens the brand.

I think you're right, Martin.
Indeed not see the red light when it is not in play while in my pioneer PDs601 when not playing with a red light the other end of the optical cable connected.
What can I do? What would be the component name to search?
Gabriele

advertisement

Back