advertisement

Help: Where are DPA Digital?

Your PDM2 was manufactured at DPA Digital in September 1992, unit number 7, using redundant Deltec cases.

Probably the case work is the glossy powder coat finish, which looks good, but suffered too many rejects, thus the spatter finish took over.

Know nothing of the Jitterbug, but I would imagine that the Deltran modification could be fitted to the DT40. Do you have any technical skills?

According to Rob Watts, the dac does most of the work, the CD just spins the disc.

Your PDM2 may need it's selector switch replacing; the tell tale sign that it is aging is a crackling noise through your speakers. A similar sounding fault could indicate that the optical transmitters are also reaching the end of their life cycle. The switch is cheap and good quality replacements for the optical components can be sourced from Digikey.

As for the Toshiba? The Dac will probably work with it, but just treat it as a suped up CD player. Demo it first before buying and never trust the opinion of salesmen or Audio Reviewers. Your own hearing is much more reliable.

Hi,
I had my Deltec Bigger bit mk1 since around '92 would like to do few mods. I'm sure its got a little bit more to offer after few component changes.
Ive changed the main supply caps for ZL's - sounds slightly bigger with less compression, also bit more detailed and retained the descent soundstage.ZL's got a slight nasal quality in upper mid not happy about it prob try blackgates next.
Pana FC sounded crap here very fuzzy upper end with fuzzy soundstage and damped sound yyukk.IMO, they didnt work for me in this dac.

Which of these Schottky's can i use? ( http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/diodes.html )

Also done class A output bias mod (disconnect pin 6 connect pin 5 to 6 position) on soic ne5534 output, not touched the ne5534 buffer(?) next to Dac chip, tho can i swap this opamp?

Got a 56uf Sanyo SP on c108 vDDD supply cap (temporary) i like the way this mildly opened the sound up, with a dryish musical coherence - more inviting human sound - to my ears anyway, slightly brighter edge, a trade off i can live with - the dac never sounded sharp anyway. would an SEP be any better?

About to replace output opamps with AD829 same Class A output bias mod.
I think theres some mileage in output stage cap replacement, gather the Silmic caps too mellow, after reading many posts, not a sound i want after hearing FC's sounding sat-on. May work well in other hifi components, who knows but not in this one IMO.

Do like the lack of grain in the bigger bit and the way it subtly draws me in, it makes instruments sound interesting (IMO and in my setup) kind of hear how its being played (very much like this aspect) but could do with a touch more dynamic swell and musical coherency.

Clock upgrade?
Which caps/ resistors are related to oscillator operation for a clock replacement?
I'm using this dac with a 1212m soundcard sync-locked,Sounds bit more coherent with that S/Pdiff confusion lessened, dont think the card is using sync-lock to full advantage as it can sound grainless, clean and clear with a sync-locked transport.

Yes i'm a complete amateur, apart from weilding a soldering iron competently i have no experience with electronic theory hence the (basic) questions.

Any help or advice from anyone is gratefully recieved.

Rob Watts designed the Chord DAC 64, DPA is defunct (RIP) they did some great digital kit, remember the £6k mega DAC with the gold case. I think DPA went the same way as Pink Triangle and NVA which si unfortuntate.

You really are a bit ignorant. PT went but now reformed, I never went anywhere including bust, just difficult to find for a while.

Richard (nva)

Wow!!!! Thank someone I found this site :)
I´ve got a Bigger Bit, Ser. No. BE534, and I am just SUCKING up all the information here!!
I had no idea what the Del Tran switch/output was for untill today :-()
A member like DPA SERVICE ain´t half bad to have around.

Thank You ALL, I now have a massive posting count of ONE! here!

All the BEST!
Magnus

I wonder why they never caught on? I had a DPA Renaissance CD player way back when, and during my home dem periods in blind tests run by my brother, it was way better than a Karik/Numerik combo, then considered to be a very good player.

And at c. £1K vs. £2.5K plus, the choice was easy. Build quality was, erm, suspect however! DPA_SERVICE you may have fettled my machine on the numerous times it went back to base with a headache!

I remember it for a lovely "analogue" sound. Oh, and the ear shattering, high pitched whine when put into standby! ;-)

Duncan

dpa service - are you still able to service / provide spares for DPA items ? - been a few months since this thread was open - also looking for a DPA 200 power amp for bridging ..

Hi Tom

I am the owner of a deltec renaissance cd player (and enlightenment DAC 64 version).

The digital display no longer works but it still plays fine - I have given it to a local radio repair guy to fix - should this be straightforward? Do you have any basic advice I should pass on?

Cheers

Paul

Are you sure the LCD no longer works? If the player plays, it's likely no big deal- just a dud or damaged LED backlight.

Hello Tom,

I am sorry to bother you and to jump on the bandwagon of this thread but I am in need of some advice and maybe some help. I have a Deltec DPA50 pre-amp with a non-standard power supply unit that was made for me when the unit was purchased by an electronics engineer. Now the unit is working as far as as I know but I am worried that if it fails I will not be able to use the preamp with my DPA50 power amp. Now the reason for getting in touch with you is to ascertain if you know what voltages/current the preamp requires and if there is any power supply unit that I could buy or modify that would work or can you supply fix or build a power supply for me.

Many thanks,

Ian.

Ian - I have the 50S pre and power amps.

As standard, the offboard psu puts out about +18V & -18 regulated with a common 0v return at about 65mA per rail. There is also raw 24v feed+ return for the muting relay in the pramp. Actual supply voltage is uncritical (providing it's 18v or more) since the preamp has its own +/-15v regs internally.

So don't worry about PSU problems, they can be easily repaired or replaced; drop me a private message if you'd like a pin-out diagram or more info.

(And welcome to Pink Fish!)

Hi Martin,

Firstly many thanks for the quick reply, the welcome and the information regarding the DPA50 preamp power supply voltages and current outputs. I would really like to get a pin-out diagram for the power supply if you would be so kind as to supply me with for no other reason than peace of mind.

Do you have any circuit diagrams for such a power supply that I could make myself as a winter project bearing in mind that I am not an electronics engineer.

Many thanks,

Ian.

Hello everyone hope this thread's still alive.
I bought a very badly used DPA renaissance int amp the circuit board says DPA renaissance issue 1. The amp's crackling or sometimes distorting in the right channel, the left channel works perfectly. At first it was occuring at relatively high volumes but now its there at all volumes. Another thing is that the amp has two heat sinks one of them is black and the other is brown is this normal. There's also a hum in the speakers when i touch the volume control, the volume control knob is made of metal.

Can i get circuit diagrams for this amplifier.

Any help would be appreciated

My advice would be to contact Pinkfish member Dcaudio. He is a dab hand at repairing broken Renaissance Integrated Amplifiers. I have supplied him with circuit diagrams and technical details. Have you technical skills? Most of the R-amp is SMD, some 650 components. There was never an issue 2. It was never discontinued, just lost its flavour I guess. Any further problems contact me directly.

My first post on this forum. I have a Deltec little bit and a DPA pdm1 series 2.

Was there ever a Deltran upgrade board available for the the models I own ?

Thanks,

Ashley.

I don't think so, no; there's no onboard clock and so nothing to send to the transport. No space to fit it, either, without drilling some new holes in the case and chopping - about the circuitry...

The Bigger Bits in the half-width case had Deltran output though, as of course did the PDM2.

advertisement

Back