advertisement

Help save our hospitality industry

It'll not happen, but we can hope.
Same goes for a lot of agriculture as well though.

Send the link to any friends who don't understand hifi, or ven any that do, come to that..........

Let’s try to push the government into some sort of flexibility for recruitment of foreign workers for our valuable restaurants etc. Otherwise, due to no fault of their own, they’ll start closing. (I still won’t be visiting any ‘Spoons, obviously)

please sign here

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/584585
Doubt it will achieve much (as per what this forum is about, our musicians & their crew need help desperately, and have met with government) but all pressure on them to do something positive for this sort of thing - absolutely.
Sunaks eat out to give everyone CV worked ok, yet helping these folks - nah, I doubt it.

Hmmmm.... not sure we should be promoting the reliance on low cost overseas labour to do stuff. Shortage of labour should up drive productivity improvements and upskilling of those who do work in hospitality and farming. For instance.....are there just too many restaurants? Could be.

you only have to look at the lives of those gangs of farm pickers to think ‘why’, ‘there must be a better way’. Why should we use low cost overseas labour to pick fruit when we have a large body of unemployed already available?

I know it is unattractive work - so industry has to figure out what to do to make it attractive. So more automation and more pay for those who do work it. Traditional economics would say to up the pay offer until people do it. And consumers then see the real cost of production.

An economy relying on cheap guest workers is a false economy?

‘Welcome to Britain!’ ‘Look at all these lovely (shitty) jobs you can do while we allow you stay, in shitty accommodation’! ‘When your short Visa expires, you have to go home, thank you. And can you find someone else to come over and do a session please?’
Yes, I know some overseas workers will ‘gladly?’ work for a pittance, send some money home and hope for a better life afterwards. But really it is a form of slavery, is it not?

It’s not just “low cost”.

There was, effectively, zero unemployment before Brexit. So we needed to import labour. That labour was more than happy to do the work at our higher rates of pay. Just as I was in Saudi in the 90s.

More expensive to eat out? People stop doing it. Restaurants close. Great. Britain.

I'm a bit old school, why get a dog if you then need a dog walker (then VC buys up all the vets and screws you too), personal trainers? Are you really that weak willed. Childcare, why did you bother? Economy based on what...

Actually based on house prices. I can't wait for house prices to fall and the politicians running around to find more ways of propping them up. Sod the young and the people that can't afford them. Joined up thinking everywhere...

I’ve signed the petition. I’m all for anything that can get the government to change course on immigration rules. The hospitality industry disproportionately relies on EU workers and Brexit is a disaster for it.

Another thing that would help the hospitality industry recover is going ahead with June 21 on the roadmap. Social distancing and table service and all the other Covid rules hospitality venues have got to follow are clearly crippling many.

advertisement

Back