advertisement

Help Please with Mini Joystick Button

S-Man

StrivingON
Sorry not hifi, but maybe somebody can help...

I have a couple of Satmap units and the joystick button fell off one of them. Satmap no longer keep spares for the old 10 and 12 models so I'm on my own.

I am looking for a cylindrical piece of plastic with a 2mm X 2mm square hole to fit onto the joystick. I will also have to add a membrane of some sort, but the initial problem is the plastic cylinder. It's the small black thing on the piece of paper:

IMG-2341.jpg

I think the joystick might be an Alps one.

Q1 - Anyone know if it's possible to buy the "button" and where?
Q2 - Any ideas how to fabricate a couple? Could it be 3D printed?

Cheers,
Dave

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My current thinking is to file a piece of alu to have a 2mm square shape on the end. Heat it up and press a square hole into the end of piece of plastic. Then machine the cyclinder shape using my pillar drill as a sort of lathe and cut it to length.
I suspect this will be very tricky in practice, so still looking for better solutions.

I can print you one when back home but wont be till end of next week.

That would be absolutely wonderful! No great rush.
Sorry to be greedy, but 2 pcs would be useful in case I lose one.
Please let me know costs, or I can make charity donation.
Is the drawing enough, or do I need to send more info?

Cheers,
Dave

It’s no problem. Would you not want it to flange out a bit at the top to make it more comfy to move about?

or is it just a ‘mating’ piece?

The existing one fits inside a rubber boot/grommet that seals to the case. I cannot see any way to replicate that so I was thinking of trapping a piece of rubber glove on top of the button and below the top of the case - if that makes sense? That would hold the button on. I suspect the thin rubber would wear out from time to time but as long as it's replaceable I could live with it.

The other possibility I dreamed up is to poke the button through a thicker piece of flat rubber. In this case it might be beneficial to make the button a bit of a top hat shape to stop it getting lost by poking too far through the rubber.

I'm open to suggestions. Many minds are better than my one tiny one! :)

Well I've ordered the tube, so let's see.
I like a.palfryman's suggestion too - 2mm sq is 2.8mm on the diagonal - I think I'd cut a 50mm length, say, drop one end into a hot water to soften, then push- over the square stub; cut to final length when cold.

inner circumference of 2.5mm id is 7.8mm; perimeter of square bit is 8 - you'll have to see how that holds up.

Second quick/dirty thought - how about building up 2-3 layers of small-dia heatshrink, then cutting to length..?

Come on man, stop messing about and get on with it! ;)
I like the idea of the rubber glove for the boot. Put that at the bottom, trapped under the new button. Bit of fine brass tube will allow you to cut a nice sharp hole in it. Otherwise might be possible to use the finger end cut from a marigold of similar to cover the 'joystick' (ew Maytron)

I would love to crack on with it, but the postman only brought more recycling bin fodder today :(

The tube arrived and I've had a quick dabble. It works to a fashion but is a slightly loose fit. More fiddling needed, but Mrs S wants our water butt capacity increasing before it rains. So rain has stopped play.... sort of.

The tattoo needle grommet works rather well with the original button. It's a tightish interference fit so the button shouldn't drop out. The joystick action is a bit stiff, but it works, maybe it will loosen up with some use?

Just need a couple of buttons now, one for the other Satmap unit and a spare. Then the job's a good'un! Hoping Garyi can help when he's back.

advertisement

Back