advertisement

Help please - LMS on Raspberry Pi not working

Nick_G

pfm Member
Help please.

I have Logitech Media Server (LMS) on a Rasberry Pi here for use on a Squeezebox Touch. Earlier on today I rebooted our router as the internet speed was dropping (switched it off, and switched it on again after a minute). Well, when I went to listen to the radio on the SBT, I got an error saying that it couldn't connect to max2play (the LMS on the Raspberry Pi). It also couldn't connect to mysqueezebox.com either. This sometimes happens after rebooting the router, and normally, switching the Pi off and on again solves it.

Not this time. I've tried switching the Pi on, leaving it for a minute, then switching it on again, but to no avail. I've also tried ejecting the SD card (which contains LMS, favourites, etc) and pushing it in again. Nothing. The SBT can't see the Pi or mysqueezebox.com.

Any ideas please? I use the SBT a lot to listen to online radio, and at the moment it's as useful as a doorstop.

Thanks.

Does it appear on the router’s list of connected network devices? Is it wired to the router or wireless?

Does it appear on the router’s list of connected network devices? Is it wired to the router or wireless?

No. It isn't showing up on the network. It's wired to the router, but the SBT is connected using the Wi-fi.

Edit: I went into the Advanced>Network>Find Network option in the SBT and the router wi-fi is showing up there, so it must a problem at the RP end. For some reason it's dropped off the network.

Is the address static or DHCP? Is the ethernet cable in properly? (Don’t laugh, I’ve had that one...)

Is everything else on the network working OK?

I've just unplugged the Pi from the router and then plugged it in again, and now the router has a blinking red light
Is the address static or DHCP? Is the ethernet cable in properly? (Don’t laugh, I’ve had that one...)

I think it's DHCP, but I'm not 100% sure. As for the ethernet cable, I did unplug it from the router and then plug it in again. The router had a blinking red light for a minute or so after reconnecting the cable, like this:

24ho79a5jn4e.png

Something tells me this may be related, as I've not seen the router do that before.

Edit: the SBT can now connect to mysqueezebox.com, but obviously, can't connect to LMS on the Raspberry Pi.

rewrite the sd card and reboot, might be corrupted sd card, also some Pi's also fail to boot like the one I have here.

Connect to the Pi using a kbd and VDU and launch a terminal session. Type ifconfig and you'll see the IP address that the Pi is using. Might be it has defaulted to an APIPA address. This happens when a DHCP server becomes unavailable and allows computers to set themselves up using their own reserved network 169.254.0.0.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks guys. I presume the Pi is rebooting OK as the red & green lights are on? The thing is, I'm pretty hopeless with the geekier end of networking and fiddling about like this. My wife is going to check the SD card now.

Connect to the Pi using a kbd and VDU and launch a terminal session. Type ifconfig and you'll see the IP address that the Pi is using. Might be it has defaulted to an APIPA address. This happens when a DHCP server becomes unavailable and allows computers to set themselves up using there own allocated network 169.254.0.0.

Cheers,

DV

^^^ this before you start messing with SD cards

Connect to the Pi using a kbd and VDU and launch a terminal session. Type ifconfig and you'll see the IP address that the Pi is using. Might be it has defaulted to an APIPA address. This happens when a DHCP server becomes unavailable and allows computers to set themselves up using their own reserved network 169.254.0.0.

Cheers,

DV
Yes. I’ve had a RPi do a spontaneous IP address change before

How did you set up the Pi? surely you used a keyboard and a screen?

Cheers,

DV

The SD card and Pi were from another forum member on here. He'd set everything up for me.

My wife connected the SD card up to her iMac using an adapter and it all looks OK; there are files and folders showing up. So the problem must be with the Pi, yes?

The SD card and Pi were from another forum member on here. He'd set everything up for me.

My wife connected the SD card up to her iMac using an adapter and it all looks OK; there are files and folders showing up. So the problem must be with the Pi, yes?
Until you can communicate with the Pi its all guesswork. You need a keyboard and a screen to get into the Pi.

Cheers,

DV

Can it be done via my iMac?
No. If we knew that on the Pi networking was active and SSH had been activated and we knew the ip address logon id and password then yes we could access the Pi from your Mac or any other computer. I use SSH and VNC with my collection of Pi all the time using WiFi and Ethernet.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back