advertisement

Help Needed with TV Speakers... please

S-Man

StrivingON
I am looking for suggestions for a pair of passive speakers for siting behind my TV. The TV is in the corner and the speakers will fire out to the sides with sound reflected off the side walls in a modest attempt to get some stereo effect.
They will be driven by a "standard" analogue power amp.

Requirements:
~150mm wide or less
Absolutely no tendency to exaggerate sibilance
No boomy bass (sealed box or plugged port preferable to bass extension)
High SPLs not required
£200 max

Shortlist (so far):
Q Acoustics 2010i or 3010i
MA radius 90, 2nd hand

Thanks Rocky.
Soundbars are not in the running. I would rather hide "proper" speakers round the back of the TV than look at even a slimline "black box".

Eclipse TD307 or TD508s get my vote - I've used both sets for TV duties and they provide excellent clarity and are better looking than most speakers. Easy to drive but they don't do bass, for that you'd need a sub. Within their limitations they can't be beat IMO.

The TD307s might be just the ticket... if I can find a set 2nd hand.
Seems like I need a fair bit of upper midrannge output to find its way around the telly. I tried my kitchen speakers - IPL M4, which are a bit laid back in the mids and that didn't give decent speech clarity (although they sound fine in my very live kitchen acoustic).
I am now running a pair of Aiwa "music centre" speakers with the port blocked and a bit of wadding over the tweeters and this is surprisingly effective for £0. Much better than the flat telly speakers and surprisingly better than the IPLs for this application.

I might buy a par of Q Acoustic Concept 20s if I can find some decent ones 2nd hand.

I use AE100’s with a Denon micro hifi! They seemed to me just to have a bit more “life” than the Q acoustic 2020’s when I demoed them! Excellent sound compared to soundbars that I have heard!

advertisement

Back