advertisement

Help me ID these heavy vintage Loudspeakers!

beammeup

pfm Member
What make are these (see pic)?

They must weigh close to 30kg each (at least that's what it feels like lifting them).

Obviously very old, but I just don't recognise them.

Thank you all ...

Yes doing a search on Google Tandberg seems to fit the bill, except these ones do not have the Tandberg label on them.

Are these likely to be any good? And can you just pull the wooden grills off at the front to see the drivers?

Tesco's sell all sorts nowadays :)

You've helped me at least narrow down the possibility of these being Tandbergs - but now I think I can eliminate that manufacturer because on the Tandberg designs where wooden grills were used at the time - the wooden grill pattern goes right to the edge of the border, every one of them. These speakers in my picture stop short of reaching the edge border - therefore 'not' Tandbergs.

What other manufacturers did wooden grills like this?

Some Philips maybe? And then there was japanese (not sure I've seen any with vertical wooden grills though).

The grills make them look like Grundig Box 45s, except these appear to be of more recent build.

I think I will have to pop the back off - there are absolutely no identifying labels on the box. The Grundig Box 45 do look like they have the same grill pattern minus the border.

I've been Googling Grundig loudspeakers and I cannot find this particular one.

The search is still on .... I will get there in the end.

No matter how hard I Google (vintage speakers will wooden grills etc etc ..) I cannot find anything further.

Out of interest are they 'real' wood finish or are they 'formica' type material? Can you see what sort of drivers are in there?

Ferguson and Dynatron both did fluted grills in typical late 60s early 70s radiogram style...
(And Braun and HMV et al.)

I will examine them closely at the Weekend.

I gather it's important to check the drivers to give clues and I agree - so I will whip the back off and find out what I can find out.

Thank you all so far. It bugs me why this manufacturer did not label their wares so perhaps they are identifiable from the inside.

No amount of Googling from me has resulted in my finding this exact design anywhere.

I like the stands though...you can move them to anywhere in the room to get the right sound stage.

Out of interest are they 'real' wood finish or are they 'formica' type material? Can you see what sort of drivers are in there?

Ferguson and Dynatron both did fluted grills in typical late 60s early 70s radiogram style...
(And Braun and HMV et al.)
its ferguson I think 71/72

I would have to be 'trollied' to use stands like this.

Trolly stands were popular in the 1960s/70s :)

An old boss of mine back in the 1970s had some Japanese speakers which looked like these. I think they may have been Akai, though I don't think they were ever imported into the UK.

I seem to remember my father had something very much like these in the early 70's. At the time he was using an Aiwa 'all in one' type of system. T/T, tuner and oil damped cassette. I would have thought the speakers came with it as a package.

Update...

Hooked them up - they work perfectly and sound very good! The treble is crisp and clear which is a sound I don't usually get from old vintage loudspeakers, so I find this unusual and interesting at the same time.

I was unable to remove the back to see the woofers / crossover but, by shining a light through the front grill I could just make out that one of the woofers had a whizzer cone for the treble.

I tried to take the back off one of these speakers without success. I removed all the screws but the back simply would not pull off - perhaps over the years the wood has fused on somehow - I will try the other speaker later to see if I am luckier. But again, I find it odd somehow that old speakers like this have a very clear treble (via the whizzer cone).

The weight of these speakers may also indicated good quality. Basically I can't wait to prise them open and get more information when I can!!

We all wait with baited breath....wots a whizzer cone ????? Is it like that old EMI elliptical speaker that had a bar across the front with a tweeter in it ?

We all wait with baited breath....wots a whizzer cone ????? Is it like that old EMI elliptical speaker that had a bar across the front with a tweeter in it ?

A whizzer is simply a little cone attached to the main cone - normally from close to the voice coil and is no more than a few inches across and is unsupported at the outside. Supposed to give more HF response.

advertisement

Back