advertisement

Help me find an amp (with a precise list of specifications)

A recent Perreaux model would fit the bill on all fronts. I recently picked up the 200ix and it's absolutely stonking. That may be a little steep, but this could be a bargain: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25593269...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Hadn't noticed this brand before - thank you. It would meet my input/output needs provided I buy a CD player with digital sockets (only has two analogue line sockets). Possible though - I'll read up on these. Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Interestingly some of the new Rega reviews are saying they are on the bright side too

I believe its down to setup or pairing issues.

Never experienced my Rega amps to be bright at all.
In fact they are a bit more soft pleasing to ear against equal Naim while retaining Prat.

I would more readily associate the Rega Elicit (being more upmarket) to Boenicke speakers. It has all the inputs and outputs of the Elex, plus a record input (that the Elex does not have). Or am I mistaken?

Reading between the lines I think there are two additional requirements:
  • the amp must be British
  • the amp must not be Japanese (why?!)
:rolleyes:

OP doesn’t even acknowledge the recommendations and why they’re being ruled out. I blame the war. They bombed me Grand dad in Malaya.

Like everyone I’m sure I have inbuilt biases - along with the fact that I can’t get to try many options (I’m in west Wales and the nearest half decent Hifi store is 2 hours drive away)

I am listening to options on here, but it takes time to look them up (for their spec and reviews). I am also swayed by brands that are often recommended on Pfm (hence the likes of Rega and Naim come to mind first but I don’t like the forward Naim sound). I also factor in what I know about their customer service and warranties. And which brands I have heard before (that includes Rega, Naim, Musical Fidelity, Linn, Arcam, ATC)

No idea why one or two of you have concluded that I’m only interested in British. I’m very interested Simaudio Moon (but can’t find one with my input/output needs). I’m now looking at the Perreaux option too. References to the war etc are plain ridiculous.

My limited experience of fairly modern Japanese amps is that they are decent, feature filled but not the equivalent sound quality as some of the other brands. I might be wrong of course - but as I say I am limited in what I can try. If I’m honest I’m more likely to buy ex dem or secondhand so I don’t lose too much if I get it wrong.

Not sure if it’s the way I’ve communicated on this thread - or whether some people like to jump to conclusions….. The fact that I haven’t jumped at Japanese suggestions and have tended to favour the UK ones so far does not mean that I only want British. Like I say, Canadian and now NZ are on my radar.

And just for info I currently own a Pioneer vintage receiver , not long ago had a Sony AV amp, I use Boenicke speakers and previously had Focal and Totem speakers. But of course I’m only interested in British……

Like everyone I’m sure I have inbuilt biases - along with the fact that I can’t get to try many options (I’m in west Wales and the nearest half decent Hifi store is 2 hours drive away)

I am listening to options on here, but it takes time to look them up (for their spec and reviews). I am also swayed by brands that are often recommended on Pfm (hence the likes of Rega and Naim come to mind first but I don’t like the forward Naim sound). I also factor in what I know about their customer service and warranties. And which brands I have heard before (that includes Rega, Naim, Musical Fidelity, Linn, Arcam, ATC)

If your going on specs, reviews & excellent customer service then I feel duty bound to reiterate my previous suggestion of the Exposure 3010S2D.

TS

No idea why one or two of you have concluded that I’m only interested in British. I’m very interested Simaudio Moon (but can’t find one with my input/output needs). I’m now looking at the Perreaux option too. References to the war etc are plain ridiculous.

My limited experience of fairly modern Japanese amps is that they are decent, feature filled but not the equivalent sound quality as some of the other brands. I might be wrong of course - but as I say I am limited in what I can try. If I’m honest I’m more likely to buy ex dem or secondhand so I don’t lose too much if I get it wrong.

Not sure if it’s the way I’ve communicated on this thread - or whether some people like to jump to conclusions….. The fact that I haven’t jumped at Japanese suggestions and have tended to favour the UK ones so far does not mean that I only want British. Like I say, Canadian and now NZ are on my radar.

And just for info I currently own a Pioneer vintage receiver , not long ago had a Sony AV amp, I use Boenicke speakers and previously had Focal and Totem speakers. But of course I’m only interested in British……

Try to get a demo of the NAIM SN3 it is a sweet jewel of an amp.Not so forward like the older NAIM amps(O.K laidback it is not)and I think has evrything you asked for,even a MM phono stage.

A Superuniti is more pleasing or soft, some would say dark or full, maybe worth a listen even it won't have all specs required(requirement lost me).
Now, with new Naim classic arrival, prices might decrease.
Will run most speakers with ease.

@TonyScarlett thanks for the Exposure suggestion. Reviews look to be up my street SQ wise. But my rather tedious list of needs (I did warn everyone in the title!) means that the Exposure falls short on the digital inputs (ie it seems to have none)

Heed Lagrange fits your specification exactly.
I don't know if the amp is available in the UK.
You could consider a Heed Obelisk as well

@TonyScarlett thanks for the Exposure suggestion. Reviews look to be up my street SQ wise. But my rather tedious list of needs (I did warn everyone in the title!) means that the Exposure falls short on the digital inputs (ie it seems to have none)

Chris beat me to it but yes the Exposure 3010 S2D has an optional DAC board which was why I recommended it.

TS

I've decided to pull the trigger...... and the prize goes to @Furyous :)

I've decided on a secondhand Perraux. It ticked all my specification boxes. The seller was until recently a Boenicke dealer so they know the synergy well. They said the amp would keep up with the demands of the speakers without problem. And it isn't bright sounding.

Added to that, the price was quite a bit cheaper than the other options I was considering . The seller is happy to give me a 14 day trial with a full refund if I don't like it

Can't get fairer than that I say......

And it ISNT BRITISH!!!!!

Thank you to all contributors with their ideas............. now on the hunt for a slimline CD player (see other thread) to maintain the sleek looks :D

I'll be happy to report back on the amp if anyone is interested.

I've decided on a secondhand Perraux. It ticked all my specification boxes. The seller was until recently a Boenicke dealer so they know the synergy well. They said the amp would keep up with the demands of the speakers without problem. And it isn't bright sounding.

Added to that, the price was quite a bit cheaper than the other options I was considering . The seller is happy to give me a 14 day trial with a full refund if I don't like it

Can't get fairer than that I say......

And it ISNT BRITISH!!!!!

Thank you to all contributors with their ideas............. now on the hunt for a slimline CD player (see other thread) to maintain the sleek looks :D

Definitely, those Boenicke speakers are fascinating, I’ve heard the W8 and thought they were great. I’ve heard some very positive reports on the W5 too.

(…)

Well chosen. I acquired an Eloquence 150 (into Spendor D7) 8 years ago and never looked back.

advertisement

Back