advertisement

Help me avoid the password in Win11pro

nostromo

pfm Member
Hello guys, I need your assistance.

DV the much respected and knowledgeable Jedi of this parish has suggested my problem IS solvable and the cure may also be useful to others....so here goes:

I have a new Dell mini PC which came preloaded with Win11 pro.

I want to use it to feed my DAC with music over USB via Audirvarna.

I'm rather annoyed that it won't boot up to the main screen without it requesting a password. I have tried most of the YouTuber methods without success.

So without loading a previous version of Windows is there a method to avoid this password request upon bootup?

I'm willing to try almost any complicated or weird workaround as long as once done it won't ask me for a blasted password simply to start up windows ever again!

Hello guys, I need your assistance.

DV the much respected and knowledgeable Jedi of this parish has suggested my problem IS solvable and may also be useful to others....so here goes:

I have a new Dell mini PC which came preloaded with Win11 pro.

I want to use it to feed my DAC with music over USB via Audirvarna.

I'm rather annoyed that it won't boot up to the main screen without it requesting a password. I have tried most of the YouTuber methods without success.

So without loading a previous version of Windows is there a method to avoid this password request upon bootup?

I'm willing to try almost any complicated or weird workaround as long as once done it won't ask me for a blasted password simply to start up windows ever again!
Do you have the password and can you log in with it? If you can then you need to create a new user with admin rights but without a password. You then reboot and select the new user. Once in and satisfied that you do have admin rights you can then delete the original user.

The PC will now auto boot up on power on.

Have fun,

DV

Go to Settings > Accounts. If it says Local Account, then you can remove the password. If it has your email address in there, then you cannot remove the password. You would have to convert it to a local account if so.

Do you have the password and can you log in with it? If you can then you need to create a new user with admin rights but without a password. You then reboot and select the new user. Once in and satisfied that you do have admin rights you can then delete the original user.

The PC will now auto boot up on power on.

Have fun,

DV
Surely not this simple. Let's hope so.

Go to Settings > Accounts. If it says Local Account, then you can remove the password. If it has your email address in there, then you cannot remove the password.
I'll need to check this. I have a sneaky feeling you're right.

But as DV says I can just create a Local account without any email address and simply delete the non-local account?

I'm currently in transit at Bahrain with 8 hours to kill followed by a 7 hour flight. I'll check this once I've recovered from the ordeal of long haul.

But as DV says I can just create a Local account without any email address and simply delete the non-local account?
There should be an option to convert an on-line account to a local one. Or at least there used to be. That would be easiest. Either way would work though.

Just to add... I'd prefer it simply sailed past the user selection screen and just went to the main window straight away. That is; I push the power button and it arrives at the main Windows screen without any input from me.

I've just had a quick Google on this as I couldn't believe it would be so simple. To my dismay I now have a strong feeling it's not possible to reach the main window by simply turning on the PC. There may be a requirement for a PIN. To me a PIN is the same as a password.

Be aware that deleting a Windows account will remove the local user folders and all files associated with that account. Typically, this will be the entire folder tree under C:\users\yourusername, including hidden folders containing specific application settings. If the account in question is also a Microsoft account and you've only been storing data via OneDrive (i.e. in the cloud) then this needn't be dangerous, just be forewarned that a backup copy of your specific user folders (both visible and hidden) is highly recommended.

In the meantime, have you tried this method of disabling both Windows Hello and disabling logon password prompts/enabling auto sign-in.
  1. Click Start -> Settings.
  2. Click Accounts in the left panel.
  3. Under Additional settings, turn off “For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in screen for Microsoft accounts on this device”.
  4. In the pop-up window, enter the password of the user account and click Yes.
  5. Next, press Windows + R, type netplwiz in the Run dialog, and press Enter.
  6. Uncheck the option “User must enter a user name and password to use this computer” and click OK to enable auto login in Windows 11.
  7. In the Automatically sign in window, you need to enter your user name and password. Click OK and click Apply to save the changes.
  8. Restart computer.
As mentioned previously, this only applies to a local Windows account.

Last edited:
Yes I do and I can.
Do you know how to create a new admin user? The whole process I outlined above takes around 2-3mins and I bet you have already wasted more time googling the web.

BTW I installed the latest 22H2 Win 11 Pro ISO downloaded from the M$ portal just two days ago into a VMFusion 13 machine running on a Mac Air with Monterey and went through the palaver to create a local account. I also met this a couple of weeks ago when I installed 22H2 on my Pi4.

As above if you have work that you need saved make a backup but I was assuming that we were working on a virgin installation.

DV

Be aware that deleting a Windows account will remove the local user folders and all files associated with that account. Typically, this will be the entire folder tree under C:\users\yourusername, including hidden folders containing specific application settings. If the account in question is also a Microsoft account and you've only been storing data via OneDrive (i.e. in the cloud) then this needn't be dangerous, just be forewarned that a backup copy of your specific user folders (both visible and hidden) is highly recommended.

In the meantime, have you tried this method of disabling both Windows Hello and disabling logon password prompts/enabling auto sign-in.
  1. Click Start -> Settings.
  2. Click Accounts in the left panel.
  3. Under Additional settings, turn off “For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in screen for Microsoft accounts on this device”.
  4. In the pop-up window, enter the password of the user account and click Yes.
  5. Next, press Windows + R, type netplwiz in the Run dialog, and press Enter.
  6. Uncheck the option “User must enter a user name and password to use this computer” and click OK to enable auto login in Windows 11.
  7. In the Automatically sign in window, you need to enter your user name and password. Click OK and click Apply to save the changes.
  8. Restart computer.
Thanks for this ..great detail. I'll try all this as soon as I get home.

Do you know how to create a new admin user? The whole process I outlined above takes around 2-3mins and I bet you have already wasted more time googling the web.

As above if you have work that you need saved make a backup but I was assuming that we were working on a virgin installation.

DV

I'm away from the PC in question for a day or so. And you assumed correctly. I'll try this first....seems too easy though. Thanks.

Well I dont know much about the software you are using but why not try something else? You can always put windows 11 back on if you need, it will even pick up its licensed.

Any presumably you have done the netplwiz malarky.

The netplwiz approach is the one I’ve always used. If it forces a PIN on you it can be removed. My windows 11 boots straight into desktop with no PIN or password challenge.

advertisement

Back