advertisement

Help...JVC AX 1010tn malfunction

salty dog

pfm Member
HI Guys, My next post was about to be a tale of how (after a very hesitant start) my 1010 (bought Sept 2017) had sonically soared past my RSL'd naim 75 preamp and NAP 140.

Unfortunately it has now developed a fault...

anyone owning on e of these will know that the power button surround (normally) flashes when the button is pressed and then emits a loud click , at which point the flashing becomes a constant light and music will be heard from any source selected if the volume is up.

At the moment this works as normal so long as no input is selected - as soon as source is selected and volume turned up the power button will click intermittently every 3=4 seconds, effectively turning the music on /off every few seconds. My hi fi is doing a good Norman Collier impression but is unlistenable.

with my limited knowledge it seems the relay on the button is faulty but i have no idea otherwise. i have spoken to 5 ways hi fi in Birmingham who said it sounded problematic and that parts would be an issue...they didn't want to do it

So any suggestions Advice gratefully received partcularly for likely bods to repair it. just for info it was bought as NOS from USA and is in obvious (outwardly) pristine condition - i use an airlink transformer to convert to UK voltage... the sound it produces is pretty damn good so i would be loathe to abandon it at this early stage

many thanks for any help

Dave

That sounds like the protection circuitry kicking in, whether to correctly protect against a genuine fault or due to a fault in the protection circuitry itself.
I've had a look at the circuit diagram and it does indeed sound problematic! There are many fairly hard to get/pure unobtainium IC's used and worst of all a microprocessor. I'm afraid this specific job is one I wouldn't want to take on. It could turn out to be fairly straightforward but there's too much risk (maybe 1 in 3 or 4) of after 8 hours work the problem is finally traced to an unobtainable part and that's the end of the line...

The relay clicking is the speaker one.
Have you tried turning off both speakers on the front and seeing if the power stays on?

I think @toprepairman (Surrey location) was JVC trained & he’s definitely sorted a couple of Z1010TNs for pfm members.

Must be some badly scratched s/h units around for parts...

thanks Guys - top repair man sounds like a useful lead. Flat is also right; with the speakers turned off at thefront the relay does not trip out the switch...
cheers ok one step at a time...

Plug some headphones in with the speakers turned off, do you get audio.
Also unplug the speakers from the back of the amp try turning it on with the speakers turned on.
Could have a faulty speaker.

Blow me!! - Flat/arkless inspired me to fiddle with the speakers as maybe it is just the protection circuitry (correctly) kicking in. all i did was undo and resite the speaker connections and check the shahinians fuses (seemed ok) and it seems to be cured. My fingers are very crossed.

Cheers everyone i would never have guessed otherwise

Dave

If they’re anything like Arcs I’d recommend Naim plugs at the speaker ends

Good news many other amps will be fried.

If they’re anything like Arcs I’d recommend Naim plugs at the speaker ends

Good news many other amps will be fried.

Yep. Accidentally allowing strands of wire to short together at amp or speaker end is one of the most common causes of a blown SS amp. Valve amps will survive it no problem.

advertisement

Back