advertisement

Help identifying Tannoy HF unit.

I'm getting out of my depth here, but wouldn't adding resistance across the terminals of the HPD unit drop its level in a mostly uniform manner? IOW, without altering its response slope and/or being negatively affected by its rise in inductance as Fq increases.
A similar effect may be achieved using the crossover controls, by either lowering the Energy setting on the brighter HF unit to make it sound more recessed, or by increasing the Energy setting on the recessed HF unit to make it sound brighter.

I guess I was assuming that Mike had not previously had any joy via setting the HF pots.

Last edited:
A similar effect may be achieved using the crossover controls, by either lowering the Energy setting on the brighter HF unit to make it sound more recessed, or by increasing the Energy setting on the recessed HF unit to make it sound brighter.

Which is what I'm doing. One of my Eatons sounds a weeny bit brighter than the other so I have the treble energy set to +1 on the other one plus a minor tweak to the balance setting on the preamp; that's enough to make mine sound well matched. But I must say that it would be nicer to not to have to make this adjustment so I do intend to have a poke around inside mine at some point too. So I'm following this thread with interest!

After owning three pairs of really tidy 15” Golds (far nicer than the ones typically going through eBay) I’ve come to the conclusion that rudimentary pair matching is the price of owning what for me are maybe the finest speakers I’ve ever heard. My current pair are very good, one just has a couple db more above 8kKz, the mid is pretty well balanced (certainly the best of the three pairs I’ve owned). I’d pay ridiculous money for a truly perfect pair, but I accept they likely don’t exist! I just stick the slightly brighter one on my deafer side and won’t touch a preamp without a balance control. I’ll eventually get to working on my Decca Ribbon tweeters (as supertweeters) crossover as I’m pretty certain they’ll even the Tannoys out, but they are too obvious at present, so I need to rethink the crossover freq and slope. They are just sitting on the Tannoys unused at present.

Yes I can indeed get them sounding pretty close by notching up the treble energy control on the quiet speaker and tweaking the amp balance control a touch. They still sound like a damn fine pair of speakers even with the imbalance.

But...I want them to be 'right' and with that in mind I've just ordered a closely matched pair of new old stock 7900 0205 HF units.

Time to remortgage! :eek:

But...I want them to be 'right'

I understand that, I do find it a bit annoying that mine are not performing quite the same. I'm going to try adjusting the position of the hf unit at some point just to see if that helps.

The pair of new old stock HF units arrived in the post today. They came very well packaged and as promised the seller selected a really well matched pair for me. A lovely touch is that each one came with its original paper response plot.

I finished fitting them about an hour ago and from the outset it was obvious that they'd done the trick. My Monitor Golds now sound superbly matched left to right with the stereo image now bang-on centre.

What I have now is the closest thing you can get to a brand new factory fresh pair of Monitor Golds, they've been reconed, have NEW original matched HF units and comprehensively refurbished crossovers.

I'm absolutely delighted with how they sound now. :D

For now both drivers are running without their magnet covers while I try and source a replacement for the broken one. Other than that, they're finished and ready to go.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Glad to hear you're sorted Mike. I also have an imbalance on my MG12 tweeters, one is 10.2 and the other 9.1. Assuming it's compatible, I might be up for trading a magnet cover for your working crinkle-finished tweeter?

Glad to hear you're sorted Mike. I also have an imbalance on my MG12 tweeters, one is 10.2 and the other 9.1. Assuming it's compatible, I might be up for trading a magnet cover for your working crinkle-finished tweeter?

Assuming it's compatible for a 12" (no doubt Frank or Tony can confirm) then that deal suits me fine.

Quick update on this pair of speakers (I'm the happy new owner). They are plumbed in and sounding great in my lounge in the corners next to my phat boy 12" HPD scaled down R-GRF's. I can immediately hear a difference, the GRF's are great, but there is a clarity on these speakers that is very impressive. I guess there is more to come as various pieces burn in as well. Stereo image is rock solid and balanced, so the HF unit switch has definitely worked.

Just one piece of information for you guys - the 12" MG magnet covers do NOT fit the 15". The one I have doesn't anyway (LSU/HF/12/8).

Cheers
Steve

I'm delighted to hear that you're enjoying the Golds Steve, I put a lot of work into getting them right. Sorry I couldn't stay for that fish pie!

advertisement

Back