advertisement

Help- High Speed Lingo

Simon Dawson

Angry, Ill & Ugly
Err... due to a bit of drunken LP12 power supply hot switching (between lingo and DIY geddon) the other night my MK1 Lingo now spins rather faster than regulation when on 45. Its fine at 33 rpm and switches between speeds as usual. I assuming I've blown something in the 45 output section. I do not have a 'scope so tracing the problem might be a bit difficult.
I suspect that it may be the power transistors (BUX85F) that have failed so could replace the 45 rpm pair as a first step.
Any suggestions as to possible fault finding / repair much appreciated.

Simon

I'd suggest the frequency is out of kilter, it's a frequency lock to the asynchronous motor that dictates the speed. With that in mind my money would be a fault in the oscillator part of the circuit.

Or: ISTR these things have more than one phase to the PSU. Maybe a phase is down , though I would have thought this would make it slow.

Have you access to a scope?

No, I don't have a scope. I think that it's likely to be the output end as I had both the Lingo and 'geddon connected at the same time!! I'm not sure how the phase shift is generated in the lingo but suspect that if I've dropped one phase then the motor may turn at twice the speed.

Hmm, if it's not obvious from a cursory poke round and you can't get service manuals/diagrams then it might be worthwhile doing the "Linn fixed orice service" deal. ISTR it's about £125-150, expensive for an internal fuse but cheap for a blown amplifier board.

Just keep your trap shut about why.:)

The Lingo has only two output amplifiers (one per phase) and these are both used for 33.33 rpm and 45 rpm operation. If you have lost one phase the motor will not start properly on it's own, without you first spinning the platter. The speed is not affected by one phase being 'down' but the motor torque will be reduced and it will vibrate considerably more! If the unit works perfectly on 33.33, I suspect that all is fine with the amplifiers and the 45 rpm oscillator will likely be the problem. Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Peter

Hmm, if it's not obvious from a cursory poke round and you can't get service manuals/diagrams then it might be worthwhile doing the "Linn fixed orice service" deal. ISTR it's about £125-150, expensive for an internal fuse but cheap for a blown amplifier board.

Just keep your trap shut about why.:)

I'm afraid a Lingo Service at Sunny Glasgow was £200 quid 18 months ago, and all they had to change on mine was the mains filter:( ....still peace of mind and all that. At least you have the geddon whilst the lingo gets fixed. Best of luck, nitrous

Simon
I am in Basingstoke, Hampshire and can lend you an oscilloscope of that is of any use to you.
I am not sure where you are.

Raphael - thanks but I'm about as far away from you as it is possible to be - New Zealand.

I'll set the Lingo and LP12 up on the table in the next couple of days and see if anything obvious shows up using the tach function on my automotive DMM. Yes, I know that there are high voltages present in the Lingo.

All the best from 2008.

What point in the globe is actually precisely the furthest away from Basingstoke? I might want to visit some time.

simon,

don't complain....you can enjoy more records in a fixed amount of time than previously!

From one SteveC to another, a quick Google shows dear old Basingstoke to be 51.26deg N, -1.09 deg W, thereabouts. The furthest point is 51.26S and 178.91E. A bit of a look at a map reveals a nearby significant city to be Invercargill, on the south tip of the S island of NZ. This is roughly 46 degS x 168E. If my O level Geography doesn't fail me you therefore need a point in the ocean roughly 300 naut miles S and 600nm west of Invercargill. (Check the maths before putting on your trunks and slathering on the goosegrease). Unless you are lucky enough to find some Pacific island it's going to be a bit wet and wild, but that has to be an improvement on Basingstoke.:p

:) steady on Raphael, I'm only having a bit of a leg-pull following the other Steve C's comment, and I was interested to see if NZ really was diametrically opposite. Read the post again, especially the suggestion that Steve C check the arithmetic before swimming about 700 miles, and you may guess that I wasn't entirely serious:p:D

advertisement

Back