advertisement

Help for a classical music newbie

Better than Classic FM and their repetitious uber-blandness, try Spotify, pick a composer, then follow the suggestions it comes up with as 'related'

Better still, the Proms start in June, listen to some of those. Buy the guide, read the rubrick for each one, and try them out.

Better than Classic FM and their repetitious uber-blandness, try Spotify, pick a composer, then follow the suggestions it comes up with as 'related'

Better still, the Proms start in June, listen to some of those. Buy the guide, read the rubrick for each one, and try them out.

July 18th

There will be loads of good stuff - you should find a lot you like.

Agreed that classic FM can be bland. However for a newbie who maybe doesn't know Bach from Beethoven it is a means of hearing a range of classical music. From that start you can determine what you like and home in on the composers you wish to dig deeper into.
The worst thing you can do is go to a concert by a well known composer only to find out you don't like his music.
Peter

I've been listening to Radio 3 in the car on my way to the Hifi Lounge. In nearly two hours, I've been entertained and enthralled (especially a new recording on Linn Records of Mozart's Requiem); maybe there is hope for me and classical. :)

i.j

All I want to say in loud font is:

Enjoy Yourself and have fun!

There is so much to love, Bach, Mozart and one of my personal favourites Vivaldi!

Your Pal

Louballoo

Last evening I went to a concert, part of the Deverills Festival, in a small village church in Wiltshire. There was a small amateur choir together with a professional pianist and saxophonist.
They performed works by Faure, V Williams, JS Bach (parts of B minor mass), Prokovief, Shearing and Sondheim.
There were two encores and the audience clearly enjoyed what they heard. The cost was £10 which included a glass of wine!
You do not have to go to large scale concerts to gain an appreciation of 'classical music' to determine what you might like. Its being performed all around you if you look.
Peter

You would probably enjoy a book called "Incomplete and utter history of classical music" by Stephen Fry. Funny, sometimes silly, entertaining and very informative.

advertisement

Back