advertisement

Help - Cyrus Signature Very quiet all of a sudden

Sorry to hear of your amp problem. At least the servicing is fixed at £300.
If you aren't already a member, join the Cyrus HQ Facebook group. Someone there might have some ideas, and the official Cyrus bods hang out there.

Odd to find a MM phono stage on the flagship pre and not for example the integrated amps (other than Cyrus 1).
If I were Cyrus I'd just re-box the Phono Signature in XR livery with a few small tweaks - like capacitance loading options on the MM inputs, NOT MC.
It's already quite expensive relative to the standard amps and pre amps.

What a mission.

Tested the speakers with another amp and they are fine.
Tried to test the amps but couldn't find anything with a volume control to test them with, but I am getting a sound from them - I'm guessing that they're all ok.

I'm going to put it down to the dac, I does alter the volume but it's not stepping it up to the proper volume, I'm wondering if it's a software problem caused by either a power cut or me altering the volume using the cadence app and somehow it's glitched and stuck.

Either way, I now need to start looking at first finding a proper way to test the dac and then have it looked at.
Shame we're on a lockdown - I could have probably just popped it over to a dealer and plugged it in to a demo system to test.

I'll keep you posted with any progress.

There is one other thing that I've only just noticed - my speakers have ribbon tweeters and one of them looks like it has a split in it? I'm sure this isn't the way it should be?

If the phono stage is giving you the same volume problem via the analogue circuit then logically it is the preamp itself rather than just the DAC within. One thing to check - I believe the Cyrus amps have adjustable sensitivity for each input - check that these haven't changed due to a power cut or whatever.

Yes I agree the actual dac part of tit is working fine. It still converts from digital to analogue.
Input 7 and 8 have adjustable levels and these still do adjust and I can hear a difference when I adjust them.
Everything on the front panel is functioning fine, it's the pre amp bit not working as it should.

i fondly remember my Mission Cyrus One,the main design defect was the rear panel horizontal inputs collecting dirt and dust and eventually failing due the main board flexing when the phono/speaker inputs stressed the pcb....

Changed to a Linn Majik/Kudos tuner :)

The bottom panel comes off these Cyrus uunits with a few screwa - unscrew and the slide off the base panel.

I popped it off, the inside is imaculate, not a single spot of dust, the rear of the unit is the same.

I couldn't see anything obvious that could be causing a problem, the joints between the two boards look great, all solder joints between all the other boards are looking good.
The inside of the unit looks brand new.
There is just one thing that seems a little odd - where the main power in board connects to two brown and two blue wire using connectors - one of the brown connectors looks a little more pulled out than the others, a bit like it has a bad connection to the pin on the board.
But the wires are all cable tied so tightly that there's no adjustment of movement possible and where the connecter jouns the board, it's under a rubber cover that won't move out of the way very easily.
I don't think this has moved at all and that it must of come from the factory this way, everythings too tight for it to have moved and when I try and push it in a bit more, it won't budge.

Clean_Top_view_DAC_XP_Sig-2000x1335.jpg

The two brown wires on the bottom right from the power in board.
The lower of the two brown wires on mine seems slightly pulled out.
Like I say though, I think it's always been like this.
Picture is from Cyrus website and not ny system although they look identical.

I was looking to see if I could spot any damage, signs of overheating, leaking components that sort of thing.
It all looks good.

Also, I can't see any fuses from this vies and suspect that if there are any they may be under the board?

What you describe sound the same as happened to my DACXP Signature about 18 months ago when I'd had it from new for getting on for about 6 years. I sent it back to Cyrus for the £300 service and repair and it's been fine since. I think the fault was something to do with the internal power supply.

Hi forum,

Seeing Your problem I want to recommend You try two things before sending to fix. First use the DACXP without PSX to rule that out. Then unplug DACXP And let it cool totally before You try it again. I have DACXP myself and cooling have fixed similar problem three times. Always the right channel. But two Years since last failure.

Thank you for the reply,
I have left it unplugged all day and then tried it again - no joy.
I've tried it with and without the psx - again no joy.

The trouble now is being able to contact Cyrus or the dealers - Lockdown troubles.
I'll just have to be patient and wait for people to start opening again.

Hi again,

Sorry to hear that. Maybe good business to have it upgraded or trade in. That is if You Think You Will feel the pressure from within and do it anyhow later.

Not so sure I'm going to feel the pressure too soon.
I'm guessing there's going to be a few more products released over the next year or two, streamer, amps etc.
Probably worth waiting to see what happens with the new line up.
A repair is most probably on the card for me and then wait a few years, just keep repairing as things break.

Not so sure I'm going to feel the pressure too soon.
I'm guessing there's going to be a few more products released over the next year or two, streamer, amps etc.
Probably worth waiting to see what happens with the new line up.
A repair is most probably on the card for me and then wait a few years, just keep repairing as things break.
As I understand it there will be XR Power Amps - likely a Stereo and pair of Monos and a Streamer - no idea of timescale.

Dac arrived back from Cyrus service today, all nice in it's new packaging.

I haven't had the time yet to set it back up in the system, I can't wait for tomorrow when I can fire it up.

The sheet that came back with it says

s/w updated, ceramics, base plate feet

s/w update must be a software update.
I'm guessing the base plate feet part is the little feet on the baseplate or bottom of the unit.

Ceramics, this one I'm stuck on? I'm guessing it might be the capacitors?

I forgot what this system sounds like after a month or two without being able to listen to it.
Cranked it up and had an instant grin.
I'm glad that Cyrus has this fixed price repair and service facility.
It means I should be able to keep my system alive and kicking indefinitely.
I didn't factor this service into the buying decision when picking the system.
But I will in future if I ever buy another system, this fixed cost repair service is a real life saver.
Good on Cyrus for providing it.
I've had other equipment break from other manufacturers in the past and I just binned and replaced it.
At least I know that I can keep this system going for a long time and at a reasonable cost.

advertisement

Back