advertisement

Help choose an amp for retro system

bonesetter

pfm Member
Set a mate up a few years back with the following (Thanks to MAX Mart for suggestion):

Rogers Cadet amp
Celestion Ditton 'speakers
Marantz CD

The sound was lovely. Foot tapping, room filling stuff. Female vocals were especially nice. The whole set-up was bought for peanut money (Rogers amps eBay for loads of dosh now. Think we paid ~£80)

The Rogers amp has had its problems, and after a few fixes we think it's time for a replacement...

Over to you, and thanks :)

A&R A60, especially one from Richard (rhgbristol) fully serviced on here at about £150 or a user one on ebay for about £80sih

King of what ? Id use a free one if cash was tight but if spending £80 on ebay I expect one could do much better with the A&R

3020's always sounded v harsh to me even tho I like the feel and form more than A&R etc

I would think a Quad pre-power would look and sound nicely retro. The 304 is a lovely looking piece of kit.

I think Cyrus still service all of their amps back to the 2 so a Cyrus 2 would also work well (or a 3 if you don't mind more modern styling).

I had a NAD3020 and found it a bit soft and mushy sounding.

There should be some old Audiolab 8000As kicking around for a decent price now, also, with useful tone controls.

The A60 has to be the best sounding integrated for what they cost.

The 3020 is still a good amp but I replaced mine with a Cyrus one all those years ago and it was better.

Arcam Delta 60 is ok too.

Also the Creek 4040.

A little more modern perhaps - but a NAD 325BEE is a good choice. This amp can do the highs, mids and the lows very well - especially the lows (excellent bass definition and grip for the price) which helps with choices such as Ditton 44's where more grip may be required to keep the bass in check.

I find this amp if useful for retro sources and retro speakers (and it's dated looking anyway) because it lets you know what the source can do and controls the loudspeakers safely.

advertisement

Back