advertisement

Help - AV/Hi-FI interference issue.

kg648

pfm Member
All,

For the past 3 years I have been having issues with my AV/Hifi Setup however I have finally worked out what the problem is but sadly not a solution.

Due to only having feed from the dish I had a stacker/destacker installed next to the multiswitch which works perfectly, however since I have been having a bit of an interference issue with the pre-outs from my AV Receiver to my Linn setup which makes it unusable in this setup causing a hum. The issue appears to be carried down the HDMI cable to the AV amp from the sky box. (sadly getting our own dish is not an option)

It is a real shame I am unable to use the front L+R on my Linn setup, although I know this is not a issue with the Linn setup as I have tried other 2 channel amps and the issue is still there, the hum is pretty loud that it is impossible to leave on, I am assuming because the signal is leaving the amp at "line" level that this problem is happening? I have tried different interconnects between the AV amp and the Linn preamp but the same issue is there.

The AV amp has no ground on the plug, it is not possible to ground this amplifier either.

I have tried Russ Andrews ground loop isolator however it appears removing the ground from the dish feed kills the signal altogether.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

On another note, I get a hum on my subwoofer I am assuming it is the same issue due to it being a "line level" interconnect, unplugging it from the amplifier rectified the issue, the cable is 10m and runs round the entire room almost so I will try relocating with a shorter cable hoping this fixes the subwoofer issue anyway.

I have also tried doing this with a naim amp and a different model Yamaha AV amp along with replacing *every* cable but still the same so I can rule out it is not an issue with the amps/cables.

I have also tried turning *every appliance/plug* off and unplugging in the apartment in case it was something interfering or dodgy but it did not fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.

advertisement

Back