advertisement

Help/Advice with Sketchy Seller

chris geary

pfm Member
OK, so I have been looking for a Klout (or two) for several months. There is one on US ebay that is fake, since they guy has never sold anything before, has never answered any questions and has allowed good offers to expire.

So, I put a Wanted ad in US Audio Mart. Today I got a response. Some guy who says he is in Nashville TN has a Klout for sale. But his website is a mess, he has 3 different emails, all of which appear to be randomly generated gmail addresses. He has a random selection of old hifi gear on there, the pictures are all taken in different locations. I don't trust the guy.

I asked for a picture with something showing today's date, and a picture of his face, and his name. Does that seem reasonable?

Are there any PFM members in Nashville? I have an address. It appears to be a townhouse in the Chelsea Village neighborhood just south of the Nashville Airport. I am having a hard time determining whether this guy is legitimate or not.

Thanks for any advice, mockery, pisstaking, etc.

Well yeah, your last sentence there, don't get desperate its just an amp, clearly its a scam.

You are right. Also, it is not worth trying to buy a cheap amp from a sketchy seller, just to save a few hundred $$, when the risk is losing ALL the money.

Best bit is when you click on 'Shipping and returns' to see what address is quoted (so you can look on Streetview).

No such luck there:

https://www.termsfeed.com/return-refund-policy-generator/

and the Privacy and Safety section, where the scammer has forgotten (or could not be arsed) to edit the template:

Privacy & Safety
I’m a privacy & safety policy section. I’m a great place to inform your customers about how you use, store, and protect their personal information. Add details such as how you use third-party banking to verify payment, the way you collect data or when will you contact users after their purchase was completed successfully.

Your user’s privacy is of the highest importance to your business, so take the time to write an accurate and detailed policy. Use straightforward language to gain their trust and make sure they keep coming back to your site!

Last edited:
Why is it scammers never learn to spell or punctuate? He’s gone to all that effort only to be let down by a few capital letters and missing vowels. I bet Audio Affair won’t be best pleased about the rather poor copy and paste as well.

There's plenty of money to be made by scamming HiFi buyers. A mate of mine got done before I knew what he was doing. I recommended an amp and, being impatient, he went off and found one on a UK 2nd hand site.

He said afterwards that the guy was really convincing. I can't recall the specifics, but the UK-based scammer did play him very well, so you have to be very careful. That's why the recommended sellers page on PFM is worth taking note of.

@chris geary
Would it cost too much to buy one from the UK and ship it to the States? That way, you could also get one that's serviced by Class A using Linn-supplied components.

Why is it scammers never learn to spell or punctuate? He’s gone to all that effort only to be let down by a few capital letters and missing vowels. I bet Audio Affair won’t be best pleased about the rather poor copy and paste as well.
Plenty of legitimate sellers can't spell or form coherent sentences. Ever seen the Onix website? Oh wait...

Last edited:
For the curious - I received an email today that Audio Mart has banned this seller for suspicious activity.
A guest, using email [email protected], recently replied to one of your classifieds titled "Linn Klout" on US Audio Mart. This user has been flagged by a moderator as suspicious and has been banned as a potential scammer. If you are currently negotiating with this person, we strongly suggest you do thorough due diligence and only proceed at your own risk.

@chris geary
Would it cost too much to buy one from the UK and ship it to the States? That way, you could also get one that's serviced by Class A using Linn-supplied components.

They seem to go for more money in the UK. I want to spend $1000 USD or less, which is approx. 700 UKP, and shipping is almost 100 UKP, so the amp has to be 600 UKP or less, and they seem go sell for more like 900 UKP. So, no it is not cheaper to buy one from the UK. At least I have not found one that is worth it. I corresponded with a guy in Switzerland who has 9 (!) Klouts, all refurbished to latest spec. He wants something like $1400 plus shipping.

advertisement

Back