advertisement

HEJIRA bassists...

I was astonished at how lyrical and emotional is Jaco’s playing on the title track of the album. I’d never heard someone do that with a bass before. I got really obsessed with his solo work after hearing it on Hejira. His eponymous album is something else.

I’d heard his playing from albums with Brecker and Metheny before that point but - for whatever reason - it didn’t jump out at me.

His playing is so sympathetic to the emotional heart of the track that it’s surprise to learn that he wasn’t aware of Joni before being invited to be on the record.

Also surprising to learn that Joni couldn’t read music - kinda hard to believe. Some of my jazz musician friends get really nerdy about what she does with harmony and time signatures; I wonder if she could really arrive at such sophistication from an intuitive place?

Also surprising to learn that Joni couldn’t read music - kinda hard to believe. Some of my jazz musician friends get really nerdy about what she does with harmony and time signatures; I wonder if she could really arrive at such sophistication from an intuitive place?

She ‘briefly studied classical piano’. You don’t do that without reading music I wouldn’t have thought.
Amazing that she ended up turning her bout of polio to such an advantage too...

She ‘briefly studied classical piano’. You don’t do that without reading music I wouldn’t have thought.
Amazing that she ended up turning her bout of polio to such an advantage too...

My girlfriend watched the video - she’s got a masters degree in jazz from the guildhall - and she doesn’t think there’s anyway that Joni could do what she does and not be able to read music.

She loved the video and decided to transcribe the bass from Black Crow and refuge of the road for fun. She’s been playing them on the piano for the last few days and doing some really interesting stuff with the harmony

advertisement

Back