advertisement

Heads up - Ginger Baker doc repeat tonight (May 5)

Marchbanks

Hat and Beard member
On BBC4, 10pm in the Imagine strand. I haven’t seen this before - apparently he lays one on the director. Sadly, as far as I’m aware not Alan Yentob as well.

Last edited:
I've seen the doc. Apart from being a very talented drummer, Baker comes over as a bit of nutter, not that I've ever met him. Think I'll watch it again on iPlayer during the week.

I've seen Baker perform three times. The first occasion was when he drummed for Blind Faith in Hyde Park. I then caught him in Air Force.

The final gig took place in the confines of the 100 club. He was playing with a band featuring a number of African musicians. They were fantastic. Wish I'd seen him with Fela Kuti.

Jack

Still can't believe he once took up with Hawkwind.... much as I sometimes quite enjoy Hawkwind, that's like Messi joining Inverness Caley Thistle.

Still can't believe he once took up with Hawkwind.... much as I sometimes quite enjoy Hawkwind, that's like Messi joining Inverness Caley Thistle.
Levitation is a great album, I have the original in blue vinyl. He was on form.

I've seen Baker perform three times. The first occasion was when he drummed for Blind Faith in Hyde Park. I then caught him in Air Force.

I saw him in 74 or 75 in the Baker Gurvitz Army. In fact he stood on a friend’s leg as he walked though the audience to the stage - back then people sat cross legged on the floor. I seem to remember him apologising, which is very unlike him.

The way he dealt with his family and kids made me dislike him quite intensely. And I already thought he was a tw-t.

Levitation is a great album, I have the original in blue vinyl. He was on form.

A friend of mine saw them on the 'Levitation' tour. Ginger was OK but needed a lot of chemicals to keep him up to speed; he fitted right in with Hawkwind in that respect.

He may be a good drummer but he can't stop being a ****. When Brock sacked him after the "Either you sack Harvey Bainbridge or Me" ultimatum, he toured Italy with his own band (Ginger Baker's Nutters, which included Keith Hale) as Hawkwind.

Anyways - here's the grumpy old sod at his best. :p

I remember the miserable git signing my Levitation album in HMV Birmingham. The rest of of the band were gentlemen, but he obviously didn’t want to be there. Wondering if the documentary will be on Iplayer later?

I did that Hawkwind tour (which was fantastic by the way) and he was a grumpy, unfriendly tosser...still a fantastic drummer but a deeply flawed human being.

I did that Hawkwind tour (which was fantastic by the way) and he was a grumpy, unfriendly tosser...still a fantastic drummer but a deeply flawed human being.
I liked his dog though, who he brought on tour with him. Much nicer than he was.

Wife #4 didn't look like she wanted to be there either. He was nice with the kids though. And at least he's lived the life he wanted, & sod the money. I didn't feel especially sorry for his son.
I thought it was interesting, there was a lot I didn't know. Especially the stuff that went on around Graham Bond etc.
Could definitely have done without Yentob and Rotten.

Aaah... ‘Gonks Go Beat!’... a priceless clip, but from possibly the worst film ever made.

That's weird, I was just reading an article by Pete Brown in which he made the same assertion. He's also in it.

I find much of the early English Blues stuff from the Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, Pretty Things et al a bit tiresome, but The Graham Bond Organisation were something else. Check out the Live at Klooks Kleek album. Awesome.

Anyone else think Ginger sounded as though he was punching above his weight when jamming with Elvin Jones, though?

advertisement

Back