Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Heads up: Chromecast Audio supports gapless playback!

Discussion in 'audio' started by windhoek, Jul 7, 2021.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

One of the key missing jigsaw pieces in my streaming setup is finally missing no more: Chromecast Audio supports gapless playback, and apparently, it has done for time!

The solution is simple: initiate casting via the Google Home app first then open your media player and play music - it's that simple! For years I've been using the PLEX app to cast to my CCA and for years (or for some time at least) I've been missing out on gapless playback.

I've tested this with PLEX and Poweramp and both options work fine. I should add, I ran into problems when I tried using an old Android device whereby the Google Home app is limited to an old, unsupported version (version 2.29.1.7); the version on my other Android device (version 2.32.1.5) works perfectly.

I can't seem to be able to achieve gapless playback it from my Macbook Air, and I haven't tried to achieve it from a Windows platform.

Fwiw, I've read lots and lots of pages on the web over the years hoping to find a solution to get gapless playback on my CCA but the post I read this morning is the first and only one I've ever come across stating that CCA does support gapless playback (without having to utilise third-party workarounds) and that this is the way to do it.

Well done, Xanthe, over at Naim Forums for figuring it out and lfor etting the people know how to do it (the post was actually from October last year)!

Miss Ariel likes this.
  2. mr sneff

mr sneff pfm Member

Never had a problem with CCA and gapless, worked straight out of the box as far as I can remember.......

3. windhoek

Fascinating! What were your playback sources and players? Fwiw, I've no idea whether the CCA could or did do gapless with cloud streaming. But gapless playback of local files was something I could never achieve before - and neither could a lot of other people if the numerous posts on the web are anything to go by. But of course, it might well be that I was simply late to the party in finding out that local files could play gapless as long as you initialise casting via Google's app as opposed to your preferred player's casting icon.

4. evand

evand pfm Member

Interesting, last time I checked it's not gapless with Roon.

5. RoA

RoA pfm Member

The greatest Audio bargain in the history of hifi.

Probably.

JoeJoe, TLS and windhoek like this.
  6. windhoek

Damn, I spoke too soon. It would seem that the gapless aspect of playback is done by the Google Home app and not the CCA itself - I confirmed this by streaming music from my PLEX server and then casting it to the CCA, but when I turned off my wifi on my phone, audio playback stopped instantly. Conversely, casting via the PLEX app allows me to turn off my phone's wifi once a casting connection has been made between CCA and my PLEX server, whereby my phone is no longer needed for playback to continue.

It seems then, that whether the CCA can do gapless playback isn't something I can say is currently possible. While the Google Home app is, I suppose, a first-party workaround, it's a workaround nonetheless, sadly. I may use the Google Home app for playing albums that really need to be heard as one, as it were. But other than that, I'll just stick to using my PLEX app to create the casting connection.

Close...

7. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

It just irritates me a little that you now seem to have to sign in with a Google account these days in order to use a Chromecast...

8. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

Landed another NOS CCA for under twenty notes recently and set it up in the bedroom system.
    "Songs while I make pongs", sounds fine from the en-suite :rolleyes:

9. JoeJoe

JoeJoe pfm Member

…..incredible through phonoleads into the back of an amp. Even more incredible into a Dac and then, amp!

RoA likes this.
  10. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Does " seem to have to " mean absolutely categorically have to ?

11. RoA

RoA pfm Member

And it has tone controls

JoeJoe likes this.