advertisement

Headphones - the new fleecing tool

I don't think ... Audio Technica were ever a high quality headphone maker .....
That's a rather uninformed remark.
Audio-T made some fabulous headphones in the early 80s, when Sennheiser were still trotting out the 414 variants. Build quality was second to none, and the electrets sounded wonderful.
They lost their way a bit recently - though Naim were using their top end phones for demos at a show last year.

To the OP, I would recommend the newish Sennheiser HD448s, a closed back for about £80 - great sound.

Thank you again PF!..Koss Porta Pros bought from Amazon.bloody good value for £18..Saved me spending out on the Grados.. Lifetime warranty..Sound brilliant with the ipod and fiilo amp...Thanks again!

"blah blah................ the company's total profit for its last fiscal year - $2 million."

This must have really, really hurt the company..wow...

What a bitch (thought about not typing that but really, what a bitch)

All in ear headphones i have used hurt terribly after a minute. I always assumed everyone gets this and you have to work through it. Sadly my pain threshold is low so i don't really use headphones

Thank you again PF!..Koss Porta Pros bought from Amazon.bloody good value for £18..Saved me spending out on the Grados.. Lifetime warranty..Sound brilliant with the ipod and fiilo amp...Thanks again!

Now you're a PortaPro convert you have to keep spreading the word on how good they are.

Igrado a fantastic mp3 headphone.. £44 something pounds

your fleeced as you say by the crap piece of cable which they no wont last no matter how much you look after them your get a moment of lapse concentration on fatal wrong pull the cable breaks at the head phone end its a sealed unit they make it so you an i cant mend it

They could easy remedy this by having a quality lead with a jack both ends that plug into the actual headphone . Not in their interest to though is it not profitable having headphones that last.

They are very good phones,and they come apart very easily,i recabled mine and the smallest thing i worked on before was a cement mixer.There ain't no such thing as a sealed unit.What one man puts together,another can take apart.Had to put my SR325i's in a bowl of boiling water to get them apart.
I'll get me coat now Cheers.

Forgetting with the rise in fashion of 'in-ear' plugs worn by people in public places....comes the hazard, where more, get sadly bowled over by cars etc. . It pays to hear 'the real atmosphere around you at certain times / places.

You really should get out more, Sony have made some of the best phones ever, same as Audio Technica. The ATH-W1000X are a classic as are the Sony MDR-R10 and the Qualia.

Ive just taken the plunge on some ATH-AD2000, imported from Japan. It will be my first pair of "proper" headphones and I havent heard them yet either... So a little nervous and no idea what to expect.

Blimey there's willingness to try... I applaud your foolhardiness ;-)

I know, its bonkers, but im due a treat for myself and cant really listen to my hifi these days because number one son has a habit of pulling bottons off and poking tweeters... so i need something :D

Well thats my excuse.

But I think i can sell them for a good price if needed, they are highly praised and quite rare. Hopefully they will be great and i wont need to sell.

advertisement

Back