advertisement

Headphones, shortlist for new ones?

Uzinusa

Happy Chappy
Looking for an additional pair to my Grado 80. I like the sound of the Grado, never been a fan of Senns, but I need something with a closed-back, something that'll work well with my iPhone, and something that's not huge for travel use. Don't need fancy features, prefer to buy s/h and have a budget of £150.
A few experienced suggestions welcomed.
Andy

If you can find some Beyerdynamic DT1350s they are 80-ohm closed back (unusual for Beyer, whose best headspeakers are open backed but when they get it right, they totally nail it). Voicing is good right up to symphonic molto but really analytical, the way I like music to be. Not too tight, not too loose. Quiet heavy as they are all-metal made. New approx £200 I won't by anything that goes in or on the ears used but if you can get B Stock for ~£160 then you're in! Flat-packed (90° swivel) and comes with pouch and jack adaptor

Very good on vocal work as they're flat for most of the freq range (as you would expect) but very much open and airy so with vocal range. I often pull(ed) out these or my ancient Sonys-that-would-not-die when I heard something in the mix that is not quite right and the speakers are not letting me hear it. Good down to 5Hz they let me listen to bass better articulated than my ATC100 Monitors and gives a feel of how they will sound live (ironic that teeny tiny speaker let you do that). These were so clean that they can deafen you so use volume limiting.

Must get another pair sometime soon.

The B&W P5 are an excellent choice for the iPhone, and travelling. I absolutely love mine, and they're great at keeping the noise out on a flight. They are stunning too. I bet you could find some S/H in your budget.

Recently Denon AH-D2000's have been coming in around £150 second hand. They're tremendous (a widely held opinion if you scan reviews and feedback). They give you the upfront nature of the Grado house style with the detail of the Sennheiser family sound. Bass is very confident while remaining controlled. Maybe a bit big for travelling but then again I see folks wandering round with those Beats... cans quite happily.

Pete

Those beyers that fox mentioned are meant to be good. I'm very happy with the AKG450s that I have and come in way under budget.

Again, Pete, Interzone and Papa thanks guys. I did listen to the P5 in town, and whilst clearly well-built and stylish, i was v disappointed by the sound :-( Sorry.
Andy

I use some Senn PX270s when travelling they are pretty good for what they are and are convenient and only need 1 AAA battery, but they are not in the same league as my Grado SR80i ;)

Alan

I would most strongly steer you away from the B&W P5's they are a triumph of style over substance and if you've listened to more than a handful of phones you will find them lacking, significantly.

I got the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for around £120 and they seem really good value to me. Clear and accurate sound, comfortable and fairly portable too.

I would most strongly steer you away from the B&W P5's they are a triumph of style over substance and if you've listened to more than a handful of phones you will find them lacking, significantly.

That's exactly what we found I'm afraid.

I use some Senn PX270s when travelling they are pretty good for what they are and are convenient and only need 1 AAA battery, but they are not in the same league as my Grado SR80i ;)

Alan

Yea, I've got some Grado SR80 for my work set up. Love them Alan. I bought a pair of PX200 for the Mrs and she liked them as well.
Cheers,
Andy

Third the suggestion for Sennheiser HD25-i-II's. Think of them as the Grado-like Sennheiser's that are sealed. They work OK with portable sources like an iphone, seal well and are relatively compact and robust.

I was going to get the ATH-50's until I heard these, they may be old tech but they work! They're more expensive but they're worth it.

Bose quiet comfort are one of the best closed back,however sonically they are not as good/no better than the Grados.

The nothing french-nothing fancy Senn PX200's are what I'd buy if my existing closed back portable cans bit the dust.

With a street price of about £40, really, they leave little to complain about with a full sound which compliments the decidedly tinny sound of most portable music players.

closed back, foldable, a decent full sound, £40. What more do you want?

advertisement

Back