advertisement

Headphones only?

I have my Red Book CD stored on a (quiet) computer and use this for my headphone playback system which comprises HD800, Cardas Clear Balanced cable, Headamp GS-X Mk2, T+A DAC8.

Headphone listening requires not only a good headphone but a comfortable one, so you should really try them on and listen before buying.

I've not listened to the Smyth Realiser but it may be worth checking out:

http://www.smyth-research.com/

The A8 was said to be used with a STAX set.

Just a thought: is your headphones listening for 1 person or do you want to be able to connect 2 headphones ?

Some headamps have 2 outputs so you can run two pairs at once, with mine you can run four at once if need be.
But generally this is a bad idea in case the Mrs wants to join the party....with the better set of phones of course :(

Anyone here run a system where headphones are the only (or even main) method of listening to music?
...............The 'old' music (piano) room would become an office/study where I can do music score prep and a man-cave to listen to music via headphones - with all the stuff that'd be going in there's insufficient space for a speaker-based hifi rig.

No room is too small for speakers if you want them enough but if you really need headphones as part of your music score prep then you will need something with different characteristics than using them simply for an alternative listening experience. The only time I listen through headphones is on holiday when privacy is important so it has to be closed back. However my preference would otherwise be for open back not only for the sound but also for comfort, particularly over longer listening periods. So determine the prime use, set your budget & draw up a short list with the help of a dealer who is happy to let you audition them at home over a period of time.

Almost exclusively headphones now here but this is due to current circumstances. I have several pairs, at all sorts of price points: Senn HD25, HD800S. Noble 'Dulce Bass' universal, CIEM Encore. A recently acquired a set of B&W ANC PXs which sound much better than they ought to. They are very well balanced and took me by surprise, especially after the "break in" period. I enjoy using all I have but with a bottle of wine I find myself reaching for the HD800S which are just phenomenal. It is a different experience compared to speakers but convenience is playing more and more of a factor for me as things stand. The new Senn closed backs have my attention, but @ £$2400,00 - they will need some solid views and a good dem before purchasing.

I used to listen to speakers only but the wireless PXs were bought on the back of me using headphones to great satisfaction and ultimately more music, whilst giving me more convenience. Sadly, I am about to return my second pair of PX's due to seriously bad connectivity issues. But I like them so much I am willing to exercise a third pair in hope they're from a bad batch (advised so by B&W themselves). Having the cord cut is great and also not knowing I am missing a work-related phone-call has its merits during office hours.

Headphones are very personal, fit and comfort is paramount, as is sound and pairing them with an appropriate amp. I started back many years ago with AKG701 but couldn't get enough juice to them. I then moved to a set of HD650 which were super comfy but too veiled for my liking.

The headphone market is booming, even the rise in HP related threads on here is a good indication. Having been an audiophile since the age of 16 I have never seen so much attention towards them but as a consumer, it gives us more options but I am yet to be convinced we're getting more for our money yet. I don't like how Apple have ridded of the 3.5 jack but that said, the AudioQuest Dragonfly RED DAC is superb for the money and drives everything I have. I am inclined to suggest it pairs slightly better with the (C)IEMs I have, as a lover of bass, and what's great about any headphone is such that any bass nodes are eradicated. AptX via my Mac Pro is very impressive, much better than anticipated. If only iOS would go the same route although I have read iPhone 7 sounding better than an A&K AK70 mk2 in AptxHD mode. I have contemplated the A&K units but as a user of two iPhones, I cannot be bothered having another device to deal with, charge etc.

Another itch I have is towards the Beyer DT880. I like the Beyer sound so I should probably get myself a pair at some stage. Am I right in thinking these are the bass lovers dream from Beyer?

Well, I enjoy my pair of Beyer DT880 phones, but wouldn't think that they are a bass lovers dream. I'd be looking at the new Beyer DT1990 if I were buying a new pair of Beyerdynamic headphones.

I went through a period of almost exclusively listening via headphones. I didn't reach the heady (pun intended) heights of some of the models already mentioned though.
Senn 600, AKG701 & 550 were enough to satisfy all my music tastes via a decent amp. MF Xcans2 heavily modified.
Aclass DIY fella from another forum.
Another DIY amp/dac combo for work.

I'd love to hear some up to date Stax though...

Headphones only for me too. Took a while to adjust to the reduced scale and the (re)positioning of the stereo image and some playing around with stuff but sounds pretty good (imho).

Stuff is P9/Apheta/Ios into a Lehmann Linear driving HD600's with Rega cabling on the electronics and a 16' Mogami custom lead by Venus Audio on the phones.

Thanks for the input, folks - it's much appreciated. I'm setting myself an upper limit of approx £1k at the moment so there's a reasonable choice out there. I've actually been quite pleased with the headphone out on my Cyrus 8vs amp - it drives my HD650's with no problem - so if I don't go for 'stats it'll certainly do the job for the time being. A sound-tech friend of mine is also selling a pair of Genelec monitors so these may end up doing near field speaker duty when needed. They've been around the block a bit, but work perfectly and being active will save on shelf space etc.

Have used Senn 650s and 600s quite a bit with a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 (with headroom headphone circuit). The lack of room interactions is a definite benefit and you definitely become aware of some subtle boxy colourations when you move back to speakers from a long headphone session. Mind you you won't get the spacial magic from headphones or physical sense of the music. Would love to try that Smyth Realizer thing at some point. Would also be interested in your view of your current 650s v Stax if that's what you go with.

I use 'stat headphones and active speakers. I've reached a place where I'd be satisfied if restricted to either one. Neither seems to lack "information". (Most headphones lack some sort of information even when "detailed" IME, hard to put my finger on it - 'stats are the best headphone technology IMV.)

You can hear the room with the speakers (bass room gain and reverberant field) but not in a bad way - I'd say the speakers are more thrilling as the music flows around and through you.

With the headphones, the lack of room effects makes certain things cleaner, and the lack of cross-feed lets sounds recorded hard L or R stand out effortlessly.

None of the above I see as problems, just "the natures of the beasts".

Having owned ESL 57s, I'd say the need to keep your head clamped in the exact spot to get an image is very headphone-like!

Don't get me wrong, these speakers hooked me into hi-fi when my Dad bought a pair in the 80s. But I don't think electrostatics are a better technology for speakers, I'd say they have their own compromises like other technologies. Probably the biggest is their directionality - any attempts to fix this add complexity when IMV the magic of 'stats springs from simplicity. All good in headphones though.

Well, I enjoy my pair of Beyer DT880 phones, but wouldn't think that they are a bass lovers dream. I'd be looking at the new Beyer DT1990 if I were buying a new pair of Beyerdynamic headphones.

I've just sold on my DT880-600 ohm even they were excellent they were too uncomfortable for longer sessions, perhaps the new Amiron would be better in this aspect ?

But I have DT250-250 ohm along with K701 & HD650 all dedicated amplified, so sorted for now

Having a separate room, at least you won't disturb anyone should you opt for open-backed phones. They will give a more spacious effect than closed backed 'phones.

I've just sold on my DT880-600 ohm even they were excellent they were too uncomfortable for longer sessions, perhaps the new Amiron would be better in this aspect ?

But I have DT250-250 ohm along with K701 & HD650 all dedicated amplified, so sorted for now
I have the Beyer DT880 600OHM headphones and on the end of the BH Crack, don't find them uncomfortable at all. I'll never sell them. I've had the HD650 and promptly sold them! They're like listening to music from behind a curtain - too veiled for my taste.

advertisement

Back