advertisement

Headphone suggestion

Linnovice

pfm Member
Apologies, I have already posted this in the 'Audio' section. I didn't realise there was a section devoted to headphones . . .

Hi all. I'm at an age now where the hearing isn't all it was and neither is the sleeping. Because of this I've started thinking about buying myself a decent pair of headphones (so when I wake up in the middle of the night I can listen without disturbing the rest of the household!). I have a pair of Grad SR125e's which, having quite a good sound, are not the most comfortable. I find the music is more detailed through the headphones rather than as I remember it listening through the loudspeakers, as it is now. I appreciate that listening to music is subjective and my taste would not necessarily correspond with others I've not bought headphones for many years. It's all a blank canvass these days so I'm wondering what the consensus of members would consider and/or recommend 'good quality' headphones.

My tastes are eclectic but now tend toward classical, especially chamber and piano, choral, I still like to listen to Pink Floyd occasionally, some folky and quite a lot of jazz (smooth). I have a budget of £500 +/-. My system is based around vinyl and reel to reel tape with the odd session of digital (Qobus/Audirvana) through Linn amps and speakers (AV5103/AV5105/Aktiv Kabers) old (read seasoned) but still quite good. I'd prefer closed back and comfort is a must.

So, if any of you knowledgable members out there have opinions and experience of decent headphones I'd be most grateful to hear about them (excuse the pun 😀).

I have meze 99 classics, well made, cables can be changed and best of all big ear muffs. Used for vinyl too. Nice.

Try the other pads on the Grados the ones for the GS1000 I can send a link to the ones I use or may have a spare pair. I also added a little perforated leather to the inside ( actually pretty easy to do ) Upshot is from a headphone I could only use for 10 mins without feeling discomfort it went to being pretty much good for 3 to 4 hours. I use the Grado Hemps and having been through pretty much the whole Grado line from PS1000 to GS1000 etc etc these are by far the best sounding ones I have owned but again with the larger pads I think they are called G Cushions. Hope this helps

If you want a closed back there aren't many good ones really but Focals at that price range would likely be a good choice second hand.

i have the open version permanently stuck on my head .
fantastic service from JM too

advertisement

Back