advertisement

Headphone cable search

spamnap

pfm Member
Am I the only person that thinks all replacement headphone cables come from China (even the ones advertised as Uk located but take 3 weeks to deliver lol) I am of course refering to ebay. I have 3 weeks ago ordered one from Redcar which is 10 miles from me, still waiting ffs

I have used Customcans a few times and find them very good. They made me a balanced cable for my Beyer T5's, extremely pleased with the results. They reside in the U.K.

I have used Customcans a few times and find them very good. They made me a balanced cable for my Beyer T5's, extremely pleased with the results. They reside in the U.K.
How are you liking the T5’s, I have recently bought a pair of 3rd gen T5’s and really impressed with them, haven’t used headphones for years and these are really good, to my ears!

How are you liking the T5’s, I have recently bought a pair of 3rd gen T5’s and really impressed with them, haven’t used headphones for years and these are really good, to my ears!

I must admit they are pretty good, only used them with a Fiio DAP so far, haven't got around to using them with my headphone amp as of yet 'JLH Headphone Amp'.
The best pair of cans I've heard so far, but not for everybody, a bit like loudspeakers! Mine are the 32ohm version

As I haven’t a headphone outlet on my Selekt dsm I have had to covert an spdif input to an output then plug in a headphone amp, I used a Hugo 2 for this, the Hugo is connected with a Chord Clearwater digital coax rca to 3.5 mini Jack, and the T5’s are sounding great.

Am I the only person that thinks all replacement headphone cables come from China (even the ones advertised as Uk located but take 3 weeks to deliver lol) I am of course refering to ebay. I have 3 weeks ago ordered one from Redcar which is 10 miles from me, still waiting ffs
There was actually a guy who hand made cables in that area, might just be a coincidence. He made one for me to my spec and it kept cutting out. Got into an argument as he said to return it at my cost to repair but the QC was so bad (no way he could have tested it) I just began a return in eBay.

I have used Moon Audio (Black Dragon) and Cardas (Clear light) replacement cables which were both better than the OEM cables that came with my HiFiMan cans. Both made in the US.

tried Custom Cans leads this week on loan and will be purchasing my own from them asap.
really like their gear

Having recently acquired Focal Utopias, a Forza Audio Works t.o.t.r. 1.5 metre cable was included, along with the faulty 4m stock. When the stock cable was repaired, I realised what a difference the Forza makes. Okay, it's shorter etc. but cables from this company in Poland are very well reviewed. Not cheap, but quality seldom is.

When my HD650 cable broke, I got a hand-made new one, same length, from a company in Maldon, Essex, for about £30. Can't say I noticed any sonic difference.

If you are headphone cable skeptic, and think cables make no difference, try this interesting experiment using audio interconnects.
You will also need adapters to interface your interconnect cables to your music player and headphones, For my setup I used 3.5mm to twin phono at one end and male mono 3.5mm male to female phono adaptors (Verum One headphones).

I definately heard a difference when using a range of interconnects compared to my dedicated headphone cable, but not all these differences where better.

The next challenge is finding an upgrade headphone cable that suits your headphones and preffered sound signiture. Not easy!

I have ordered a headphone cable from CXnnected made from Mogami Pro-audio wire. I will report back with my finding in a few weeks.

I recently used custom-lynx, https://custom-lynx.co.uk/ to make me a 1.0m cable for AKG702s - miniphono to mini-xlr, Neutrik Rean hardware and their own cable in the middle. It is fabulously-low measured resistance, esp for the 0v return - exactly what I wanted (inc the colour) - and delivered within 48hrs for about £17!

Fabulous service and as a customer - very happy to recommend them.

Last edited:
I can recommend OIDIO for custom headphone cables. I’ve just received mine. Exceptionally well made and sonically fabulous.

advertisement

Back