advertisement

Headphone bargain

stevec67

pfm Member
Goldring DR50s on ebay BIN £19.90 post free. RRP £40. They are a conventional over-ear design. They recently got rave reviews compared tto others at £40, according to a mate, and I've just ordered a pair. Got to do something while I'm watching it snow...

They seem ridiculously cheap. Are they really any good for that price (I guess they must be if they get a mention on here), how would they compare with a pair of Grado SR 80’s?

Dunno, they haven't come yet! It was a mate though who told me, he wanted a set of phones without spending a fortune, saw a great review in HFW/HFN/ some magazine and they came out tops in a review of a range of cans up to £40 or £50 where these came out tops. He then looked them up and bingo, £20.

Better than Grado SR80s? I don't know, can you get them for £20?

Not for 20 quid, but they're the best of the Grado bunch, value for money wise. I’m having a minor dilemma purchasing a decent set of cans at the moment, so I suppose a pair for £20 pounds is worth the gamble.

(P.S.: You sent me a detailed email explaining how I can work on a keyed scratch on my car and I promised to let you know how I’m getting on….I’m still sweating away on it and I’ll tell you more on a relevant post)
Cheers, Steve.

Ah, I remember. I can bore for England on cars. Hope it pans out OK, the nice thing about stuff like this is that you can keep going back and making it a bit nicer until it almost disappears. I'm good with paint, or I used to be when I had cars that were worth painting. Good luck, and have fun.

Sorry to derail, but here's a car conundrum: the lacquer is peeling quite badly off the roof and bonnet of my 14 year old c36 Merc, what can I do - is a bodyshop the only answer?

Nice headphones by the way and a great price. I just bought some Senn px100 originals from Superfi for a nephew for the same price.

Just collected the phones, they are great. The online reviews complain of a vice like grip - correct. These are closed type cans and your world goes silent with them on. Forget noise cancelling, you could use these as ear defenders. They look good, a standard issue pair of black phones. They aren't exactly discreet though, if you wore these on the bus you'd have to be wearing the full DJ getup or you'd look a bit of a tit. You won't be folding these up in a pocket. Sound quality I'd rate as great, especially at the price. They aren't too sensitive, my MP3 player needs to be roughly flat out to deliver decent volume so you might want to add a phone amp. To that end they come with an adaptor from 3.5mm to full size phone jack, so they will go into a hifi phone socket. Buy a set, if you want a proper set of phones for loose change these are great phones at £20.

Callahan, your lacquer problem is very common. Bodyshop is best but it's going to cost. If you are experienced in paint then you can cut back into the metallic layer and get the oxidation off it, then reapply lacquer from an aerosol. It won't be 100% but this may be good enough, the more skilled you are and effort you put in the closer the final result will be to perfect. It may be worthwhile seeking the advice of a mobile chips-away type operator, set aside £200-300 and you might get a very pleasant surprise. If you want to have a chat about it, give me a PM and I'll give you my number. What to do depends on how confident you are with car paintwork, after all.

Are they really closed cans? They look like they are open and the Amazon blurb seems to suggest this. I ask because I'm looking for some headphones to use in a library so isolation is absolutely crucial. If these were nearly as good as Senn 25's, for example, that would be nice for £20. Am I dreaming?

Courage mon brave! Correction, these are open back and there is noise leakage which might be unwelcome in a library, esp if people were nearby.

clamnell, YHM, re the CD I'm sending to you.

Doubt it. Mine sounded good out of the box. They still do. I haven't listened to Grados, but as you say £20 plays £80. They got great reviews at £40 so at £20 I think they are great. I don't know how the hell they manufacture them for that.

advertisement

Back