advertisement

Headphone amplifier

??????

Assuming the same ballpark dB/W, the voltage and current is irrelevant - the headphones will requires the same power - W=VI

Ideally true.

Headphone sensitivity is generally quoted in Voltage for a given output rather than watts. As the impedance increases the Current will decrease, substituting using Ohms law into the above we end up with P=V^2/R, you can see that you need to increase the Voltage by a "Squared" Factor to achieve a similar power dissipation. In reality this rarely happens as the sensitivity of the higher impedance phones only require only a little more voltage rather than the "Squared" Factor that the formular would suggest.

LPSpinner.

Last edited:
Having tried all sorts of headphone amps, including a freshly serviced Sugden Headmaster, with my HD600's over the last 20 years, the best I have found is a straightforward headphone tap (resistor network with a headphone socket) off the speaker sockets on my freshly serviced Quad 606 power amp.

Sounds bloody amazing and should be stupid o'cheap compared to any headphone amp.

I have an old skool QED speaker switch that does that ... and very good it is too ;)
('High Definition' even....)

h60431-0-60431.jpg

^^^
You mean two headphone outputs?:)

Myryad Z40 here too, with HD660S. Great little amp/preamp if you can find one - they sold the last ones off cheap, but people seem to keep them, rarely see them for sale.

Still regret missing that one .. I hummed and hawed too long and the offer was gone :(

My current headphones are quiet old now and require high current to get the best from them. I’m not a fan of IEM’s.

I’m looking for an amp that would be ok with driving anything from 120 ohm to 600 ohm, would be for home use only so size/weight is not an issue. I would be using wired phones, not a fan off wireless.

After I find an amp I’ll then be in the market for new phones.

At 120 to 600 ohms, high current delivery is not really an issue. The ability to deliver a little higher voltage and a higher gain might be more of a requirement.

Also, as previously mentioned by foxwelljsly, there is nothing wrong with a simple resistor network to pad down the output of a speaker output (typical on most amplifiers that have a headphone socket). The amplifier's headphone socket on my downstairs setup is all I have ever used on this rig, it sounds fine with all my Phones. Miktec’s little QED box looks like it does the same thing. If your amplifier has a headphone socket, try that first. The only possible consideration is if you end up with a planar magnetic style of phone. These will have a much lower impedance (usually 20 to 40 ohms) and require a little more current drive than a standard coil type driver.

Also: choose the phones first then choose the method of driving them once the first decision is made. The phones have a bigger impact on the overall sound than any amplifier will.

Regards

LPSPinner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve got a few offers to look into. Will update soon.

For £200 or so you could build the Rock Grotto version of the MF X-Can V2.

The amp itself is generally around £100 and the parts to mod it are about the same.

If done right, for that money I don't think anything will come close. Pair of 6922s with a constant current source. If you complete all the amp mods then you don't need the more expensive torroidal PSU.

Maybe.. I could part with mine, maybe.
You've reminded me I have one of these I haven’t used for a while but being technically, erm, limited is it hard to carry out the mods? Maybe I should do that rather than look for a new amp similar to the OP.

I’ve thought about a better Schiit than the Magni 2 I currently use such as Asgard 3 or Jotenheim 2, or THX789 although I’ve no idea if Drop is a good source for UK buyers. Maybe I’ve been overlooking the obvious path with my old X-Cans.

I now have a Beyerdynamic A20 amp and my very old sennheiser hd424’s are sounding good. I guess more modern cans might get the best out of the amp. Anyone used or have the A20? Would like to know what combination could be a good choice for new cans.

I have ended up with the Beyerdynamic A20 amp and Beyerdynamic 900 pro x headphones.

I don’t think it’s a fair to compare the Sennheiser HD424 to the Beyerdynamic 900 as the 424’s are over 30 years old.

The combination works well for me with the new amp and phones, to my ears it’s a really good combination.

advertisement

Back