advertisement

Headphone amp recommendations

This is what I use. Schiit Lyr 2 and Oppo PM-3. Upgraded from Schiit Asgard (v1). Happy with the improvement... I believe that the Lyr 2 is slightly above your 400 GBP limit, but not by a massive amount...

DSC_0206 by Philip Johnson, on Flickr

Thanks Per. Funnily enough I was going to ask you about the NJC and Violectric amps that I see you’re looking to sell. Is the Myryad in the same league as those?

Hi Rich
Thanks for your message, I have replied to your PM

Amps beeing in different rooms I have yet to bring them together for a compare, this may happen later.
Guess they are in same league but there will be differences to analyse.

For a couple of years I have used the NJC amp with Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm headphones.
I decided to sell the cans as I found them rather uncomfortable and heavy in the longer run.
In hindsight I was using this setup far too little to justify it, so decided trying to sell on the NJC amp too and perhaps try something different in the main setup.
Performance was great though and according to views the amp seem to run any quality HP with zero problems.
Indeed the 880 was a great HP, soundwise.

As for the Myryad and Violectric, when the Myriad came on sale in UK I was lucky to source one and a short listening in my main setup proved performance was great on my K701 and DT250. Tbh I have listened for limited hours only but definately a true bargain at 1/4 of retail, (with a free preamp)
By coincidense in the same period a Violectric V90 came up for sale, allways lusted after one of these but realising box count must be reduced so now a bit tricky.
I do like the advantage of having two HP output on both these amps.

Beside a short listen I have yet to do a more serious session and compare but have withdrawn the V90 from sales until further notice.
I'm also waiting to get my newly aquired HD6XX runned in so exiting times ahead.

I hope to find time for a detailed view, amp vs amp, at a later stage, please take my experience for now with a pinch of salt

Cheers

I'm looking to do more headphone listening and recently had on dem a trilogy 931 headphone amp. I already have a Graham slee solo with psu1 power supply (a must, adds so much to the sound).
Both amps produce different styles, the solo - detailed treble, punchy so sounds very fast and toe tapping. The trilogy - more neutral, more sub bass, less treble but fuller lower/mids which gave music more body and weight. Felt the trilogy was better overall but at £895, wasn't worth the upgrade.
I did see a trilogy amp come up for £450 second hand a while ago, so might fall within your budget.
There's always second hand Graham slee's coming on the market as its a very popular headphone amp.
Graham also does a loaner programme on the forum so why not join and get it sent to yourself?
Also, if you do purchase a solo you can get it upgraded to the top of the range ultra linear diamond edition if you wish.

If you check out the trilogy 931 on their website, they have a pdf of 6 headphone amps that hifi choice did a group test on. Might help.

advertisement

Back