Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Headphone amp - how to integrate into system?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Funk, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Funk

Funk pfm Member

My M-DAC functioned fairly nicely as a headphone amp for my HD600s but as per my other thread it's shit its caps all over the place and until I can have it looked at it has been ousted in the meantime for a Topping D50. Neither this nor my amp have a headphone output - but could I run a headphone amp (such as a JDS Labs Atom) from the tape output as this would be a line output? I'd have to remember to mute the amp's output every time I used the headphones though.

The JDS offers RCA out as well as in - presumably this means it could in theory also be sat as a pass-through between the D50 and the amp? Although saying that, ideally I wouldn't want to put another device permanently in the signal path unnecessarily. It would, however, mean no need to even turn the amp on for headphone listening...

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Yep, tape-out can be used as a line-in to a headphone amp.

Funk likes this.
  3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

Funk likes this.
  4. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

I’m glad this came up.
    I have no tape in/out on my preamp but it does have spare preamp outputs, is it possible to connect a headphone amplifier via the pre out? It’s a passive preamp if that matters.

5. GaryT

GaryT pfm Member

I don't see why not, just be aware as they are pre-outs, they are affected by the volume control on the preamp, unlike tape outs which are line level.

6. eevo1969

eevo1969 pfm Member

Ah, thank you.

7. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Thanks for confirming it'll work chaps. I also like the switchbox idea Tim, £16 seems good value.

I'm taking the M-DAC to mansr in a couple of weeks' time for him to recap it and once it's back I will make a decision as to whether to reinstate it or sell it and stick with the Topping D50 and a separate headphone amp.

windhoek likes this.
  8. miktec

miktec unissued

9. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Hmm. Seems it might be a lucky dip in terms of quality... In which case I'd do just a well starting off with using the built-in pass-through of the headphone amp and seeing whether it has any detrimental effect on the sound (I suspect if it does, it'd be negligible).

10. miktec

miktec unissued

I've used the pass-through on a number of quality headphone amps (Musical Fidelity, Fostex, and more)

Never noticed any real detrimental effect - can't see the JDS being any different (gets great reviews...)