advertisement

Headphone amp/DAC dongles

Bourneendboy

pfm Member
I had been using an Earmen Eagle with my Beyer DT 700 Pro X, but apart from added volume, I didn't feel the SQ was better than an iPhone, so returned it.

I'd like to get back to using my android phone as a source (the iPhone was just for music) and wondered if anyone else was using something like a Dragonfly, Helm Bolt etc?

I'm also interested in something like a Fiio BTR5 using Bluetooth, any users here?

Cheers,

Bill

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mpow-BH298-Wireless-Bluetooth-5-0-Audio-Receiver-15h-Playing-Time-30m-66ft-Operation-Range-For.jpg
Whilst I absolutely hate to lower the tone of the thread and recommend gear that costs about a £tenner, I find these astonishingly and surprisingly good.

Bluetooth 5 and near as damn it to CD quality imo. A very enjoyable listen.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27540428...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Mpow-BH298-Wireless-Bluetooth-5-0-Audio-Receiver-15h-Playing-Time-30m-66ft-Operation-Range-For.jpg
Whilst I absolutely hate to lower the tone of the thread and recommend gear that costs about a £tenner, I find these astonishingly and surprisingly good.

Bluetooth 5 and near as damn it to CD quality imo. A very enjoyable listen.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27540428...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

The MPOW arrived earlier in the week and I've been using in the car since, it works perfectly for playing music from my phone and calls.

I've tried it with my headphones this afternoon and it works and sounds great, thanks for the recommendation!

I'm now wandering whether to buy another or try a Fiio BTR5 to see if that is a worthwhile investment.

I'm new to Bluetooth, is Tidal Hi-Fi wasted on this?

The MPOW arrived earlier in the week and I've been using in the car since, it works perfectly for playing music from my phone and calls.

I've tried it with my headphones this afternoon and it works and sounds great, thanks for the recommendation!

I'm now wandering whether to buy another or try a Fiio BTR5 to see if that is a worthwhile investment.

I'm new to Bluetooth, is Tidal Hi-Fi wasted on this?
That's great, I'm glad it worked out well for you.

No, those little things are surprisingly good, I don't think Tidal would be wasted!

Bluetooth got a well deserved bad rep in its early days, but it's come on by leaps and bounds since then.
I don't think many folks realise how good it is these days.

I have a couple of Dragonfly DACs which I bought for laptop audio.

I have noticed that the headphone socket on my iPad, which has a LOT more gain than most onboard headphone sockets, sounds just as good and just as loud with HD25s and HD600s.

Not surprised at that, the dragonfly design and engineering was decent enough when they first came out but are lacking compared to modern dongle dacs at a fraction of the dragonfly price.

Firstly, selecting the right headphone amp/DAC dongle to pair with your headphones is a personal and subjective process. What sounds impressive to one person might not be the same for another. However, reading reviews, evaluating product specs, and assessing your most important features can be helpful in your search.

Both the Dragonfly and Helm Bolt are highly respected within the audiophile community, with the Dragonfly being widely hailed as the standard in this category. They are both compact, portable, and can significantly enhance sound quality, surpassing a phone's built-in DAC. If you own an Android device, the Helm Bolt may be an excellent option.

The Fiio BTR5 is a Bluetooth receiver that doubles as a headphone amp and has a built-in DAC. Although wired connections are preferred over Bluetooth for audio quality, the BTR5 uses Qualcomm's aptX HD and Sony's LDAC codecs to produce high-quality wireless audio. Furthermore, its built-in mic and other features could make it an excellent fit for your needs.

Ultimately, the best way to discover which product aligns with your needs is to try them for yourself.

I had a Dragonfly red for some time until it died. It definitely improved the sound from my iPhone. I now use an iBasso DC06 which is superb - USB-C input and both balanced 4.4 and single ended 2.5 outputs.

I've heard the Dragonfly Colbalt and Red and for the money, they are very good.
Me too. I think it depends on your headphones. I use a dragonfly red with a pair of b&o play h6’s. It makes a significant positive difference. Also works well for watching movies on the iPad.

advertisement

Back