advertisement

Headphone amp £100

I’ve taken the plunge and found a brand new Topping L30 for £90 in black which will go well next to my Brio R.
The reviews sound excellent, so worth a go for that money. They will be driving my Grado 325 Gold Anniversary headphones that I treated myself to about two years ago (brand new from a collection). Just need to run them both in now.

Thanks for all your suggestions. It’s been a while since I’ve been on PFM and your responses have been excellent.

Lee

I don't think you'll be disappointed at £90, I think I paid £130 for mine.
Also a fan of Grado headphones, had some 325s a couple of years ago, still not sure why I sold them. Still got the SR80s I bought about 10 years ago. Sennheiser HD600s are my main headphones these days but I still enjoy the SR80s occasionally.
TS

Guys,
I have the Sennheiser HD 206 connected to the Node 2i headphone output. I wonder if the Grado SR60e will perform substancially better, or should I keep the HD 206?
Edit : I have been reading on internet sites about the Grado and they say that the Grado performs better with an amplifier, but works just fine with a CD player or streamer headphone output.

Last edited:
Well, I bought the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. It is great, very neutral as I like.The Grado are fine, but I guess I would have to spend 200€ on a Grado and after an headphone amplifier. For the low end market, the 280 pro seemed to me abetter choice, and it plays loud and clear, doesn’t need an amp.

Well, I bought the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. ..

Seems like a good choice for a decent price.

I still have some HD58x lying around yet to be unpacked, purchased from MassDrop, should not need HP amp.
I had HD600 which was much more expensive, very popular among audiophiles, I never really came on with these, even amplified.

Should I ever need another can, the Meze 99 from Drop looks like another good VFM solution.

I've not heard the 58x but the Meze 99 originals are rather nice, I was extremely tempted to add them to the armoury.
However, I do very much like the 600 so make of that what you will.

I’ve taken the plunge and found a brand new Topping L30 for £90 in black which will go well next to my Brio R.
The reviews sound excellent, so worth a go for that money. They will be driving my Grado 325 Gold Anniversary headphones that I treated myself to about two years ago (brand new from a collection). Just need to run them both in now.

Thanks for all your suggestions. It’s been a while since I’ve been on PFM and your responses have been excellent.

Lee

Exactly what I was about to suggest. Topping DACs and Headphone amps are astonishing value for money compared to pertty much anything else around at the moment.

I think with the Sennheiser hd280 pro I don’t need a dedicated headphone amp.I’ m using the headphone output node 2i.What do you think?The Sennheiser has 64 ohms impedance however the sensitivity is high, with a 113 db value.

advertisement

Back