advertisement

Headline mk1 or mk2?

palindrome

Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.
Hi all,

I'm attempting to clarify whether or not a Naim Headline I currently have for sale is a mk1 or mk2. It's Olive, was purchased in 2004, and the serial number is 187877. I am under the impression it is a mk2 as declared on the invoice, but now I'm not so sure.

If anyone can help clarify the unit's generation status I would be most grateful.

Thankyou,

John

Hi graham55,

You are correct, of course. To be absolutely sure I have this morning spoken with Naim, and they confirmed the situation.

Thanks for your input.

John

I've read many times that the Headline 2 is meant to sound better than the Olive (Mk.1), but I've not heard the latter, so can't say if that's so and in what way.

I've heard that the volume control on the Mk1 could develop a 'crackle', and that this part was changed on the later model. There may have been other changes, but I don't know.

I think there was a general change in the Naim sound at the transition from olive to black, personally I prefer the olive 82 to the 282 which are the only two I have been able to compare directly

Here are the differences:

Mk1.
t2mhGl.jpg

Mk2.
JoF3Ml.jpg

Has anyone modded one or serviced one?

I can see why the Mk.2 might sound better! Plus, what the pictures can't show is that the Mk.2 board is acoustically isolated in some way (it can be moved slightly in its case).

advertisement

Back