advertisement

Head torch recommendations

Steve,
I bought a fenix. It’s fantastic. Not cheap. Great high capacity battery. High light intensity full waterproof metal case. Not cheap but well worth it. Would I buy again if needed. Yes.
I have a couple of Pretzl Tikkas and they don’t even come close.

I was very pleased with my old fenix ,bit heavy which stretched the elastic and struggled at the time to get a replacement , but absolute bomb proof and used everyday. They are expensive though.

Sounds good. It's hard to keep up, I've had a Tikka which was OK but the new generation stuff just blows it away for loose change. Some technology really is advancing quickly.

The Zebralights have always been fully regulated and don't care if you drop them in a puddle. I used to use Petzel's for backwoods canoe trips but they chew through AAA's when you are using them every night for a week or so, and for the privilege you get a constantly decreasing amount of light. I understand that some of the new ones are regulated, but I have no knowledge of those.

The ZL's were about double the initial cost, but being mine use AA's, were easier to feed and they love Eneloop rechargeables (recommended by ZL) (I have no 18650 powered lights) They are fully aluminum so much tougher, and they are smaller.

I have several Petzels where the plastic has aged and cracked making the light useless. ZL's are still going strong.

I also have some Fenix stuff, (as well as some FourSevens) it is nice, especially my AAA EDC light, but overall, ZL is ahead on both emitter selection and especially regulation technology. ZL usually for each model have variations of tint colour ie warm and cool and beam, spot, floody or full flood.

Highly recommended.

Hi Steve,

The Fenix model I have is a few years old. It’s full metal body. On highest setting it actually burnt a ring in a fleece i was wearing. Long story. Lol. As I said they aren’t cheap but are great headtorches. cant see me buying another for a longtime. Unless I’m bored as I love torches!

I'm on bushcraft site and recently missed out on a second hand zebralight which if I had got probably not having this conversation, not really looked at them apart from that, will have a look again.
The fenix I'm looking at is a hl60r but about £70 which bit of a stretch.

Hi Steve,

The Fenix model I have is a few years old. It’s full metal body. On highest setting it actually burnt a ring in a fleece i was wearing. Long story. Lol. As I said they aren’t cheap but are great headtorches. cant see me buying another for a longtime. Unless I’m bored as I love torches!
Being an ex-caver, I love torches too! I think my Fenix, which nowadays is only used when I walk the dogs at night, or trying to fix sommat behind the stereo, will outlast me. You've only got to pick one up & look at it, maybe take the battery out, so appreciate how well it's made. Of course, if you need something a bit more upmarket, this is the choice for the modern caver - Scurion.

A Fenix for dog walking is a sledgehammer to crack a nut! I'll stick with my £3 special for that. I have similar in the car for breakdown repair and wheel changing. That pro caver thing is a beast though, I'm sure if I were doing multi day trips underground and needed a lot of light that would be the rolls Royce option.

Wow, I did abit at college along time ago but in those days was carbide.
I just bought some carbide to put down the rat holes in the garden. Sniffing the stuff sure brought back memories! Inconvenient when carbide lamps ran out of water in a very dry cave, but easily solved. All added to that distinctive caving aroma.

These are perfect, Petzl Tikkina.
Not too many modes, just low, medium or bright.
Easy to use, nice wide beam, no annoying hot spot and a nice white light quality.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KYTR76Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

there is also a rechargeable battery available, Petzl Core , micro USB charging.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L328L72/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Millets and Go Outdoors often have offers.
-
Bought this. Seems ideal. Thanks for the tip.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back