advertisement

Head torch recommendations

Daisy

pfm Member
Anyone recommend a good reliable tough headtorch , have had an old fenix one for ages but unfortunately past repair, tempted on newer fenix model but open to persuasion .used for camping, general knocking about bit of night fishing. Preferably lightweight and waterproof.
Thanks
Simon

Petzl is probably the go-to brand, after ten years I’m happy with my Alpkit at half the price. Green light doesn’t attract moths etc, I wouldn’t even contemplate one without.

I buy the generic ones on fleabay for £3 or so. Fine for mountaineering, camping, car repair. At the price I have 2 or 3 kicking about, none have broken down yet.

Several LED Lenser H14r.2 here.
Expensive? I suppose but not too bad if you shop around. I find them very comfortable, a charge lasts for days continuous/weeks with intermittent use, especially on low setting, rectangular beam that can be focussed/dispersed for long or short range etc. I use them a lot.
No spare parts, only accessories available though.
The H7r.2 is similar but smaller lighter etc

Last edited:
I’ll follow this with interest. My wife mentioned this the other day but I haven’t looked into it yet. I need two of these for dog walking to ensure we gather all of the output. Cheaper the better as that will be the only use.

I have had a few Petzl headlamps. Last one is fine after ten years

If I was buying now, I would try Decatholon or Aldi.

Go for Fenix again if I were you. They're a cut above the others, and are regularly used by cavers.

I have one of these from Chilli Tech: https://www.chilli-tech.com/bike-lights/CREE-Headtorch. It's insanely bright on its highest settings (5 to choose from) and the battery lasts for bloody ages on a single charge. The head strap is a pretty crap though, so at the current price (which is twice what I paid for mine) it's not such great value.
The body of the torch looks suspiciously similar to one of those Fenix models, so I suspect they're all made in the same factory in China ;-)

Got a Petzl Reactik plus. Rechargeable from standard usb, got Bluetooth but what it does is change light settings according to whether you're looking down, up or needing a red light to attract clients.

Total overkill. Use it for night riding and trail running but still overkill.

I’ll follow this with interest. My wife mentioned this the other day but I haven’t looked into it yet. I need two of these for dog walking to ensure we gather all of the output. Cheaper the better as that will be the only use.

These are perfect, Petzl Tikkina.
Not too many modes, just low, medium or bright.
Easy to use, nice wide beam, no annoying hot spot and a nice white light quality.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KYTR76Q/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

there is also a rechargeable battery available, Petzl Core , micro USB charging.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01L328L72/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Millets and Go Outdoors often have offers.
-

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have an older Petzl Tikka, I find the diffuser great for close work. The older version has less output and is slightly less useful for walking about. I am sure Tikkina will be good.

Got a Petzl Reactik plus. Rechargeable from standard usb, got Bluetooth but what it does is change light settings according to whether you're looking down, up or needing a red light to attract clients.

Total overkill. Use it for night riding and trail running but still overkill.
When you have finished attracting clients with your red light you can turn it off and attend to them with unimpaired night vision. Handy, eh?

The technology in these is moving very fast, I have old ones from a few years back, some fairly expensive, and they're useless compared to even cheap ones today. For people who ve bought stuff like Fenix and Zebra above, what makes them worth the extra?

advertisement

Back